Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: how to use fonts

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: how to use fonts

What defines the font size? the browser, the OS or both. the size problem of the letters, or pages, seem more recent, though i did have a problem, at 1, VA.gov page. now the font problem is different, and goes across other forums, pages, with letter size. maybe an firefox update is involved. or my attempt to get it back, to my normal.
    been a week, since i wrote... i downloaded different fonts and some font helper things from synaptic package manager. i think i got the problem solved. i just have to learn the settings, within firefox, and finish downloading the proper font selections in synaptic package manager. other forums are working better. this one is also, but i got some tweaking to do. thanks for the help
    Last edited by oneleded; March 17th, 2019 at 12:09 PM.
    the only bad question is one that is not asked.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Holger_Gehrke View Post
    This surprised me because it's totally different from what I see when I zoom. The bar grow vertically and at 240% zoom the line of text at the bottom gets wrapped and "Useful Links" gets put on the next line (and vanishes since it's white text on white background). Searching around the menu I found an option in 'View' -> 'Zoom' -> 'Zoom Text only' (Retranslated from German, the actual names of menus and items may differ) which produces the effect you describe. Try setting that option off and see if you like that behaviour better. In case the menu-bar isn't visible for you (I think it is hidden by default, I usually have it visible all the time) hitting F10 will show the menu.
    Holger
    my firefox menu is visible at the top of the page. i have the zoom function. the only one i can check, on or off, is; "zoom text only" it was set off. i will try with it on..
    Last edited by oneleded; March 17th, 2019 at 12:50 PM.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

Beans

Hmm, if your vision is degrading, then you should buy a Macbook with a Retina display - it makes an enormous difference. Macintoshes also have very good accessibility features, screen magnifier, voice over, voice to text, etc.

Also, you need to learn how to use these features before your vision deteriorates too much!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

thanks HermanAB and all the rest that helped. i have lubuntu on the 2nd hard drive. i kinda crashed the PC, while editing the 2nd hd.. grub2 aint quite working. however, i did find the problem why my fonts were so strange. from 14.04 to 18.04,, sometimes i used the iso., with a cd, or dvd. othertimes i used the net to update the new system. i may have had more than a few problems, from doing this. some of my other problems were because i was learning. if it were not for this site, i might be using windows. now i am one my 16.10 cd., in test mode. the last windows i used was xp. i was still using it in 2016. Glad i found an alternitive. Ed

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

at the moment i am useing, a live dvd to access this site. and,, the fonts are working as they should. i think i am using 16.10. it is of no matter. the pages are working here.. updating, and not doing a live dristo, could have been the problem/ may have been the problem. i have to mark it solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

though i marked this solved, i didn't take into account screen size, or the resolution. this is an asus monitor, unlike the tube type. i cant remember if it is led, or what ever. know i can read it, without using, Ctrl,an plus.. now when i make it bigger, it gets way bigger. 110 is comfortable, where as 130-150 worked before. just saying.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

things have changed some. i had to reinstall lubuntu, 1804 LTS, and now pages are working better. with that said, now i have to go back into firefox, and change a few thing's, and hope this resolves the problem. 133% works just fine, as do some of the other size settings. its not near as crazy as it was before. a fresh install, may have just changed quite a few problems.
    when i find that head banging icon, it will be on my post..
    bang ouch, bang ouch, bang ouch, bang ouch, for some reason, every time i hit my head on this wall, it hurts. let me try again.. [not an icon, but describes it well]
    Last edited by oneleded; July 26th, 2019 at 02:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

i am probably not stating, the right question... at the moment i am viewing at 120%. when i switch to 133%. it is better. how do i keep the pages the same?, with lubuntu.
    all i want is a consistent size, of the letters, and numbers. i tried to get this right within Firefox. i dont know what i am doing, to keep it the same.
    the xp drive works fine. i cant seem to do this with the linux drive..

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

bump

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

bump

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast