Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No HDMI Audio in Mupen64plus Ubuntu 16.04

Beans

No HDMI Audio in Mupen64plus Ubuntu 16.04

I'm still kinda new to Linux and RetroPie. I had everything working great but had to do a complete reinstall. So I followed the directions posted here: https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/Debian . I have done nothing extra. I'm trying to just get Super Mario 64 to run at the moment. The video runs perfect but there is no audio. I tried the steps listed here: https://github.com/retropie/retropie...in-mupen64plus but all it did was make the audio cut in and out more often and when I would reboot there was no audio or audio devices listed until I ran the Mupen64plus emulator in RetroPie. All the other emulators and desktop audio work flawlessly. So I have completely reinstalled everything stated above and I am ready to start some troubleshooting.
    Thank you
    John

Specs:
    Asus mobo (on board audio disabled in Bios)
    PNY Nvidia GTX 760 (HDMI Audio Source)
    8gb G.Skill 2x4gb DDR3 1600
    AMD Phenom x4 965 3.4ghz

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: No HDMI Audio in Mupen64plus Ubuntu 16.04

I am unable to reproduce this using 18.04 on a GTX 1060 3GB
    RetroArch: Frontend for libretro -- v1.4.1 -- d8855ca --
    Compiler: GCC (6.3.0) 64-bitBuilt: Feb 26 2017

retroarch -L /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libretro/mupen64plus_libretro.so --appendconfig ~/.config/retroarch/retroarch.n64.cfg /path/to/rom.z64

Mupen64Plus 2.0-rc2 (i compiled this from source)
    **attached to post

sounds settings in retroarch
    Audio Mute: Off
    Audio Volume Level (dB): 0.0
    Audio Sync: ON
    Audio Latency (ms): 64
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

I appreciate you taking the time to help. Since I have Mupen64plus installed through RetroPie is there a special way I need to install what you compiled? Sorry for my ignorance I'm new to the workings of Linux.

I forgot to mention. The Libretro emulator works just fine. The other Mupen64plus emulators don't have audio with retropie.

I'm trying to use the mupen64plus-glide64 emulator so I can load Hi Res textures later when it's working again. I noticed an error message that show at the bottom of the screen when starting the emulator. it shows quickly but reads: /opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runncommand.sh: line 961: read: read error: 0: Resource temporarily unavailable.
    Last edited by howefield; February 24th, 2019 at 05:05 PM. Reason: posts merged.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

the package libretro-mupen64plus installs a file here: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libretro/mupen64plus_libretro.so
    i replaced this file with the one i compiled after moving the original to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libretro/mupen64plus_libretro.so.bak
    Code:
    sudo mv /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libretro/mupen64plus_libretro.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libretro/mupen64plus_libretro.so.bak
    sudo cp Downloads/mupen64plus_libretro.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libretro/mupen64plus_libretro.so
    My setup is based on retropi, i installed emulationstation from source (originally i used the deb and updated the files on my system, this was back when the original dev was still maintaining it, retropi has taken it up since then) and installed retroarch from the repos along with the libretro libraries and if a library gave me a issue i compiled it from source to see if it would help
    with N64 emulation if you fix one thing you will break another so in the past i have tried several different versions
    I wrote my own es_systems config file based on how retro pi worked

My setup is a bit hackish from before everything was easy to install, so outside of running mupen64 via retroarch i have never done that
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server

Beans

The specific emulator I'm having trouble with is mupen64plus-glide64
    the lr-mupen64plus works fine but looks awful and won't load high res textures. The mupen64plus-glide64 emulator worked great until I had to reinstall everything for other reasons. No system hardware has changed since I've started this.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

for a while i was having some silly audio issues with hdmi i purged all nvidia drivers sudo apt-get purge nvidia-* and installed the newest drive i had part of a old driver version installed

Beans

It's a fresh install of Ubuntu 16.04 I have tried it with the newest proprietary drivers and with the xorg drivers. fresh installs both times since I was trying all different things to get it to work I kept breaking my installs so I would have to reinstall the OS. As of right now it fresh with the xorg drivers. Do you want me to install the nvidia drivers again?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Do not install the driver by running the installer you can get on the nvidia website, i'd only suggest it to someone who wants the latest driver (a good reason right now is free sync support) and is a advanced user (as in you knows how to use a command line well enough to not require a desktop environment to install the driver)
    the best way that will not result in you not having to touch a command line after the install would be to use the graphics driver ppa
    https://launchpad.net/~graphics-driv...ive/ubuntu/ppa
    You can run the 2 commands on that page or add it via the "Software & Updates" GUI in the "Other Software" tab
    *I have bionic cause i am on 18.04, for 16.04 you use xenial
    Then install the driver using the "Additional Drivers" tab

If you ever have a problem with the driver, you can remove it with this command:
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia-*
    you can do this from recovery mode if necessary
    if you have some special settings that you made manually you will likely need to move/delete/rename your Xorg.conf file /etc/X11/xorg.conf, this file can be created from within nvidia-settings it does not exist by default
    after removing it you can install it via the "Software & Updates" GUI in the "Additional Drivers" tab

** Free-sync support on nvidia only applies to the GTX 10 and 16 as well as the RTX series
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; February 24th, 2019 at 03:05 AM.

Beans

ok I reinstalled Ubuntu Using the newest LTS 18.04 so we have the same OS. I tried what you suggested above but I don't get any open source drivers only the proprietary 390 drivers. Should I just check that and install that way? That's what I normally do.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

if you do what i did on those screenshots you will be good
    if you would prefer the terminal:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa -y && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nvidia-driver-415
    I know the window says open source, but it is really the proprietary driver, not sure why it mislabels them
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; February 24th, 2019 at 04:46 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast