Thread: Force Chrome/Vivaldi to Always Open Incognito

Beans

Force Chrome/Vivaldi to Always Open Incognito

I run Firefox almost always in "private" mode, for a variety of reasons. To ensure this, I have set the flag

browser.privatebrowsing.autostart=TRUE.

Therefore, whenever FF opens -- whether via the launcher or via clicking a hyperlink -- it opens in private mode.

I would like to do the same thing with Chromium and/or Vivaldi. Unfortunately, I can find no such flag in Chromium.

I can modify its launcher by adding "--incognito" to the executable, and the launcher now opens an incognito window. But this is only helpful when using the launcher.

If Chromium is my default browser and I click a URL hyperlink or an HTML file, the launcher is not involved. So Chromium opens in normal mode.

Is there a way to make Chromium always open incognito, similar to Firefox's capability?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Force Chrome/Vivaldi to Always Open Incognito

You could override the Chromium desktop file locally for your user by running:
    Code:
    mkdir -p ~/.local/share/applications
    cp /usr/share/applications/chromium-browser.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/
    Then open ~/.local/share/applications/chromium-browser.desktop in a text editor, append --incognito to the Exec line and save.

Finally, run:
    Code:
    xdg-desktop-menu forceupdate
    xdg-settings set default-web-browser chromium-browser.desktop
    For Vivaldi it's the same procedure, just search for its desktop file in /usr/share/applications. And, of course, you can only have one default web browser, so run the last command only where it's needed.