Thread: Touchpad is detecting my middle "floating" finger

Beans

Touchpad is detecting my middle "floating" finger

Hi,

I read a lot about how to set up your touchap properly but I can't manage mine to work the way I want. What's happening is: when I move my pointer around and that my middle finger is to close to my forefinger, it is detected by the trackpad (even if it is not touching it) and that mess things up (jumping pointer and random stuffs). I tweaked my touchpad settings (playing with xinput --set-prop 13 "Synaptics Finger" mostly) but I can't make any difference. I use a DELL Latitude E7440 and have the lastest Ubuntu release installed.

Cheers !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Touchpad is detecting my middle "floating" finger

I use the same laptop, my advice is to use the touch in minimun sensibility.

Beans

Hi, thanks for the reply but setting the sensitivity to minimum does not help. Same thing happens but at some point my trackpad is not working anymore (except if I press the sh*t out of it).

&wP*!) is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Maybe extremely late: can you check the BIOS version by sudo dmidecode -s bios-version?
    Check this version with the most recent one on Dell site. I know from a lot of posts of E7440 that BIOS upgrade fixed most of Touch/TrackPad issues.