Thread: Received 2 emails notifying me I had a reply to a thread - both bogus

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Received 2 emails notifying me I had a reply to a thread - both bogus

I received 2 emails about replies to a thread I started Reply to thread 'How to get Supertux 0.6.0 on Ubuntu 18.04' that look just like regular replies but, there is no reply there.
    Last edited by Cavsfan; February 19th, 2019 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Removed spam text

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Received 2 emails notifying me I had a reply to a thread - both bogus

They are not bogus notifications. Did you not read the text of the quoted messages? They were spam posts to your thread - obviously so, complete with spam links - which have now been removed from your thread. The forum software simply notifies you of all replies before we have had a chance to get rid of the garbage.

As soon as I've posted I'll edit your posts to remove the spam bit of the notifications. Please do not quote spam posts - you are simply doing the spammers job for them.
    Last edited by coffeecat; February 19th, 2019 at 10:52 PM.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Is this spam coming from Ubuntu Forums info@ubuntuforums.org?

I do not understand, I received one of these before and replied on the thread, looked back and there was no post. So, I replied to a ghost.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

For heavens sake - read my post above!
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    They are not bogus notifications. Did you not read the text of the quoted messages? They were spam posts to your thread - obviously so, complete with spam links - which have now been removed from your thread. The forum software simply notifies you of all replies before we have had a chance to get rid of the garbage.

As soon as I've posted I'll edit your posts to remove the spam bit of the notifications. Please do not quote spam posts - you are simply doing the spammers job for them.
    Oh, yes I read everything but, I did not know they were removed nor was there anything obvious about this.

You can delete this thread. I'll remove the 2 emails from the 1st post. Either way is fine with me.

Now, that I know, I won't be fooled again. I was getting several messages that were from spam artists I figured out after about 3 of them.
    Changed who can send me messages to admins and friends.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    For heavens sake - read my post above!
    Excuse me! I was busy replying to your reply

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Agreed, the notifications were not bogus. In short, a spammer replies to a thread and notification email goes out. The spam comes to the attention of the forum staff, who remove the spam from public gaze. The recipient of the notification returns to the thread, and the reply has disappeared from the thread. It happens sometimes.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog