Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fedora vs Linux Mint vs Ubuntu - Which one is easy?

Hybrid View

Beans

Fedora vs Linux Mint vs Ubuntu - Which one is easy?

I want to use Linux but I am a begineer and just want to use the distribution of linux which is easier and compatible! Can you guys recommend which one should I go with? I have tried Ubuntu a little bit and its easy to use but is there any other type of linux which is easier than ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Fedora vs Linux Mint vs Ubuntu - Which one is easy?

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

easy for some is difficult for others.

i use Kubuntu mostly. but i also use Xubuntu. Both have good GUI that is easy to use or modify.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Linux Mint and Ubuntu are your best choice imo.

When I first started using Linux I was lost and confused and once I jumped in and start opening things up everything became less confusing and I wasn't so lost.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Linux is Linux. The distro doesn't matter much. Seems you may have confused the GUI with a disto. GUIs on Unix OSes are just another program. You can swap in/out any that you like. If you are a point-n-click end-user, then something like Mate or Gnome3 would be easy. XFCE and LXDE/LXQt are also worth consideration.

But just under the GUI, all the ubuntu flavors are 99% the same.
    Among Linux distros, ignoring the GUI, they are 95% the same.
    Among Unix & Linux systems, ignoring the GUI, they are 90% the same.

"Compatible" can mean all sort of different things.

When people ask me how to learn Linux, starting from almost not knowledge, here's my normal answer: http://blog.jdpfu.com/2014/12/28/learning-linux , but I'm usually not dealing with normal end-users. They want to be at least power-users or programmers or admins. For end users, just do the first 2-3 links in my post above.

And hopefully, you've found a Linux User Group near your home/work. Many colleges have one. My metro area has 7, so I think finding one should be easy.

Beans

It really depends on a lot of different factors. What are the specs for the machine you are wanting to run Linux on? Once we know a little about the machine you are wanting to use we can narrow down a great out of the box experience for you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bred55 View Post
    I want to use Linux but I am a begineer and just want to use the distribution of linux which is easier and compatible!
    Compatible with what?

I'm also not exactly sure what you mean by "easy." If you mean something with a GUI similar to Windows, Linux Mint (which is based on Ubuntu); but the GUI in Linux is defined more by desktop environment and/or window manager than it is the distro.

Also see Linux Is Not Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Mint does seem popular but Mint has at least two desktops. Their default is Cinnamon and seems pretty similar to 'classic' Windows prior to 8. Mint XFCE desktop looked quite a bit different than Xubuntu. Look at some screen shots and try one that looks interesting to you. The only significant cost is time and the more you try the easier and more logical it will seem. I've messed with Fedora a little and didn't find it that easy to use, perhaps because by that time I'd been using Ubuntu for a while. Fedora wasn't 'hard' per se, just different. Different package manager, different terms etc. And at the time I found their installer ....... unique.
    Last edited by kurt18947; February 16th, 2019 at 02:23 AM.

Beans

Mint is basically just rebranded Ubuntu with a different DE and Ubuntu restricted extras installed by default. People may have different preferences but really it has more to do with aesthetics than ease and the difference is trivial . There is a "rolling" version based on Debian but usually that is not what people are talking about.

Fedora is a genuinely different distro. I have dualbooted Ubuntu and Fedora for many years and my vote is to Ubuntu hands down, for better hardware compatibility, for ease of installing graphic driver (if needed) and for the wide availability of precompiled packages. In my experience the Ubuntu partition always worked out of the box except maybe some trivial tweaking, but something or other always break on the Fedora side and may require some extensive workaround if works at all. On the plus side Fedora always has very new packages (even betas) through the official channels even though it is not a 'rolling' release (also reason why it is not as stable). I like to have the newest packages for user software but leave the system components alone if they work, in that sense I prefer base Ubuntu + ppa or self compiled when needed to Fedora which upgrades everything.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; February 16th, 2019 at 03:27 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bred55 View Post
    I want to use Linux but I am a beginner and just want to use the distribution of Linux which is easier and compatible! Can you guys (and girls) recommend which one should I go with? I have tried Ubuntu a little bit and it's easy to use but is there any other type of Linux which is easier than Ubuntu?
    With this computer I got it with Ubuntu 18.04 preinstalled so I knew its hardware was compatible.

I first used Linux 4 years ago, choosing the distro was a difficult choice, as initially I had thought there is Windows, Fruit, and Linux, each of them has 1 type that is the current version.
    Desktop environments, I had no idea what these were and the more I searched about them the more it became like shoe shopping minus any ability to determine perfection for a particular instance.
    Okay so what shoes did I want for Linux.
    They needed to be in an acceptable colour, as I did not know at the time if or how this can be changed.
    A calm colour as I am likely to be getting frustrated at first (I was wrong here, I more so became determined).
    What shoe horns if any does it have (to help with the fitting on of what may be a difficult fit) aka forums, not princes.
    Are the forums friendly, or are my little toes likely to get burnt or trampled on.
    This was decided some hours, okay weeks, later ;p

The best way forward then to make it easier for me was to do small projects. Starting really tiny.
    After I completed each one it helped me improve confidence a little bit in using Linux, as I not only knew I had done that, I also knew I done that using Linux.
    The side effects of this were, these projects took time, as the time increased using Linux, it also decreased using windows.
    One day I realized I had not used the windows computer for a week, then later I realized it was a month, I eventually knew I only needed Linux. This process took a few years, my addiction was seriously strong.

There are no Windows computers here. The only fruit is in the fruit bowl or fridge. There are 3 Linux desktops, 1 Linux Netbook, and one visiting Linux Laptop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast