Thread: fetching a .deb from an alternate repository

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

fetching a .deb from an alternate repository

is there a direct "one command" way to fetch a .deb file from an alternate repository named on an apt-add-repository without actually adding a (that) repository to your sources, like maybe a direct URL download from that repository?

rephrasing the question:

based on many useless answer google found for me and the way some of them were asked:

given the name (or hostname) of a debian/ubuntu repository, and a package name (and architecture and distro version), is there a way to construct an HTTP URL that can be fetched to download the .deb file? i might like to download it in a user that has no sudo privileges and/or on a different host.

i am NOT wanting any suggestions for tool to download files based on URLs. i already have such a tool that does what else i need.
    What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: fetching a .deb from an alternate repoditory

Do you have synaptic package manager installed?

When you mark a package for installation, you can generate a download script via the file menu.

The script uses wget as in the following example:-

Here is the website for wget:- https://www.gnu.org/software/wget/

Any help?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: fetching a .deb from an alternate repoditory

....and this page details how to find a direct link to a deb file from a ppa and an example script to construct a URL from the ppa.
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/6182...deb-from-a-ppa
    Last edited by guber2; 4 Days Ago at 01:15 AM.