Thread: Attempted hack

Beans

Attempted hack

I noticed a screen pop up with different variants after the Ubuntu screen saver on my Ubuntu 18.04.1. LTS fully updated as of Feb-10-2019. I have the firewall UFW enabled and I was wondering if anyone can tell me how this screen could pop up.

The enclosed screen shot doesn't show the Network icon in the task bar.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Attempted hack

enabled firewall without any rules may not do anything. Perhaps if you posted the output from sudo ufw status then someone might be able to help? But most of the time, a popup like that would be requested through javascript by the browser on the machine. Most home firewalls would allow that client-to-server request on the same subnet.

Beans

I agree. I was just pointing out the general configuration of my Ubuntu system. Also worth noting is no additional software was installed. I believe it to be Java script from the default firefox browser which was open and only has 1 add on "ublock origin" The logs of UFW do not see anything unusual. the system logs has some instances but I will watch closer on the next occurrence.

Beans

I forgot to mention that I did install ffmepg for Firefox to play specific videos. I have enclosed the second attempt. https://ubuntuforums.org/attachment....1&d=1550216533

Beans

I major change has been made. My Non administrator account can now make wifi changes without requiring an Admin password.
    Also in the logs under "important" tab a applications message stated "critical: we failed, but the fail whale is dead. Sorry..."
    Last edited by cam17; 16 Hours Ago at 07:04 PM.