Thread: How can I use the shell script to real-time detect the print job form word processors

Beans

Question How can I use the shell script to real-time detect the print job form word processors

I want to detect the print job that sends by the word processors (like LibreOffice, Openoffice), I know that use shell script to run the endless loop is a bad solution, so I want to know if there was any method to deal with this detection?

I was stuck in this problem for weeks but still doesn't get any solution...

My English is not very well, but I will try my best to explain my question, hope somebody can reply to this question

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How can I use the shell script to real-time detect the print job form word proces

I have no idea how to make it work, but inotify would be where I started. From the manpage:
    Code:
    NAME
           inotify - monitoring filesystem events

DESCRIPTION
           The  inotify API provides a mechanism for monitoring filesystem events.
           Inotify can be used to monitor individual files, or to monitor directo-
           ries.   When  a  directory is monitored, inotify will return events for
           the directory itself, and for files inside the directory.

Beans

Re: How can I use the shell script to real-time detect the print job form word proces

Thank for your reply! I will search for more information about this solution to try its feasibility.