Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gnome 3 Vs Ubuntu Mate on HP Compaq 6000 Pro Microtower

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Gnome 3 Vs Ubuntu Mate on HP Compaq 6000 Pro Microtower

I certainly wasn't recommending that people install Hardy Heron, Ubuntu 8.04. Kind of out of date...

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

I have Deluge on my Windows 7 and installed. So what do I do now?
    To use a torrent, you first download the torrent file. Then open the torrent file with Deluge. Deluge will then try to download the .iso file for you. This can be fast or slow depending on the number of users. Direct download of current Ubuntu release from it's servers is often faster.

Don't think about using Ubuntu 8.04. Can't be updated to insure your system is safe, and cannot use current versions of web browsers.

Beans

Thanks. I think I used to have Hardy Heron, a long time ago. I think I pitched it because I figured it wasn't safe, old kernel and all. I agree the best way is to test different desktop environments in live to see how the hardware takes it, lol. So, downloading by the mirror is safe then? I don't exactly get the verifying thingie, though. Is downloading through torrent safer or easier, since I've never done it before. 13 years ago, I used to either request disks or bought them, but I'm a little broke, and I want to learn to do it for myself, if you know what I mean.

Beans

Yeah, OK. Thanks. I recently pitched a lot of my Linux Live CDs/DVDs, because they were all old, and thus, unsafe, security-wise. I used to have Mepis. Shame the project was abandoned. It had everything, so overwhelming, but it was nice. That's the first Distro I was introduced to (from "Free Software for Dummies") I'm getting over my pack-rat days, lol!

Thanks for the directions. So I can download Ubuntu Mate and Xbuntu then open them (one at a time, of course) *then* open them with Deluge. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

As info, like the storied "Phoenix" of legend . . . . Mepis still lives . . . . in the form of MX Linux. Is #2 on the Distrowatch "hit parade". (See Distrowatch link at bottom of this message)

Also, since you have PLENTY of time before Win7 loses support, you can visit a few key websites and learn the ABC's of Linux and Ubuntu.

For many newbies and PC challenged . . . remember that "youtube" is your friend. A few of my favorite channels include videos by:

> Joe Collins
    > Chris Titus Tech
    > LearnLinux.tv
    > Linux Quest
    > Linux Tex
    > Matt Hartley
    > Tux Digital
    > XPS Tech

There are many others, but I know these are well supported by the content creators and offer info more suited for beginner to intermediate users versus system or IT admins.

Plus, you can use the built-in search box on the Youtube website pages to search for specific videos of topics such as:

"How to Download and Use Torrents in Ubuntu" . . . OR . . . "How to Install Ubuntu to an External SSD" . . . . etc, etc.etc.

https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mx

Problem installing Ubuntu? . . Just get it "Preinstalled" (like you did for Windows!) . . http://linuxpreloaded.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12