Thread: Using [sudo fdisk -l] does not display the results.

Beans

Question Using [sudo fdisk -l] does not display the results.

I really need help on this one. I'm using the Linux terminal through Crostini and I want to see the name of my SD card (like sdb1 or something) and nothing happens. The terminal just continues on as normal, as if I didn't type anything in.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Using [sudo fdisk -l] does not display the results.

Are you by any chance running Ubuntu inside a virtual machine or container on a Chromebook or Chrome OS ?

Up until you asked this question I had never heard of "Crostini" with respect to Ubuntu, but after a bit of google usage...
    What is Crostini?

Official definition

Crostini is the umbrella term for making Linux application support easy to use and integrating well with Chrome and Chromium OS. It largely focuses on getting you a Terminal with a container with easy access to install whatever developer-focused tools you might want.
    Please tell us what the main OS you are using is and if you are using Ubuntu within a virtual machine etc on another OS like Chromium OS.

If you are operating from within a virtual machine (container) the guest OS/tool set may not have direct access to the hardware and as such commands like fdisk will likely fail. More information about what you are trying to do is needed here.

Regards, yeti.
    Last edited by yetimon_64; February 3rd, 2019 at 11:40 AM. Reason: gr.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Not Ubuntu.

Thread moved to Any Other OS.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Yes I am running it inside a virtual machine in Chrome OS, and I am trying to change the file directories for Steam.

Beans

Is there any way of getting direct access to the tool?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vollmair View Post
    Yes I am running it inside a virtual machine in Chrome OS, and I am trying to change the file directories for Steam.
    You will need to wait for someone more familiar with virtual machines to get an accurate answer here, it is a bit outside of my experience/knowledge. I have a feeling/hunch the fdisk command in the terminal within a virtual machine will not be able to poll the hardware directly so will just continue on as you note in the opening post with no output; though I have zero experience with crostini so really can't give a definitive answer.

Good luck with this, regards, yeti.

Beans

Virtual machines don't see the hardware on which they are running. They use the emulated hardware in the VM. Running "fdisk -l" in the VM will only display the virtual disk. To see the actual drives and their partitions, you have to be running the command in the host OS, not a VM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

But is there a way for the SD to be "emulated" to the virtual machine?

I can "share with linux" but it doesn't seem to change anything
    Last edited by vollmair; February 4th, 2019 at 11:45 PM.

Beans

You haven't told us what virtual machine software you're running so I can't say precisely. With VirtualBox and its Extensions installed, you can share specific folders on the host with the guest.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    You haven't told us what virtual machine software you're running....
    From post 1...
    I'm using the Linux terminal through Crostini ....
    A Crostini container on Chrome OS holding Ubuntu (Ubuntu is not specifically stated, but going on the thread so far appears to be so).

I have some experience with virtualbox but not ever having used Chrome OS and Crostini I can't do much to help here. Being crostini the OP may have to wait for someone who uses it and Chrome OS or if that doesn't happen maybe open a support question on a Chrome OS support site.

Ubuntu is the guest OS not the host here. Cheers, yeti.

Edit: I suspect, like you mention in post 7, the OP will have to find out how to get that information from Chrome OS not Ubuntu (if it is Ubuntu in use).
    Last edited by yetimon_64; February 5th, 2019 at 11:01 PM. Reason: reference to comments made in post 7 + punct.