Thread: Get wine and Ubuntu to share a clipboard?

Beans

Get wine and Ubuntu to share a clipboard?

I have a stable copy of Kindle for PC running under Playonlinux and Espeak is configured and running well.

I want push a button and have it play the highlighted text in my kindle book. I'm trying to use the script
    #!/bin/bash

xclip -o | xclip -selection clipboard -i
    xclip -o | espeak

but it never picks up highlights in wine. So how do I link the clipboards/ grab highlighted text in wine?

Beans

Re: Get wine and Ubuntu to share a clipboard?

Firstly what are you doing there? Why is xclip being called 3 times?

X11 has several clipboards.
    When you copy with Ctrl+C, it goes into "CLIPBOARD", and Ctrl+V pastes from "CLIPBOARD".
    Mere text selection goes into "PRIMARY", and middle-click pastes from "PRIMARY".

xclip's default clipboard is PRIMARY.

Code:
    xclip -o | xclip -selection clipboard -i
    outputs from PRIMARY, then inputs into CLIPBOARD.

Code:
    xclip -o | espeak
    outputs from PRIMARY, pipes it to espeak's stdin.

You should only need the second line. The first line is only there to copy PRIMARY to CLIPBOARD so Ctrl+V can paste, it should not affect the second line at all.

Now onto why it isn't working.

Does Wine even populate PRIMARY when text is selected? Let me investigate.

Beans

Re: Get wine and Ubuntu to share a clipboard?

I've looked at the source code and run a few tests, and apparently Wine doesn't update the PRIMARY selection when text in a Windows application is selected. It only updates CLIPBOARD, and only when Ctrl+C is pressed.

To get your application working, you have to select text in the Windows application running under Wine, copy it into the CLIPBOARD selection with Edit->Copy or Ctrl+C or the like, and then get xclip to paste from the CLIPBOARD selection and pipe it to espeak:

Code:
    xclip -selection clipboard -o | espeak
    If you really want it to automatically copy selected text into the PRIMARY selection without Ctrl+C, please consider filing a bug report with the Wine project.