Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In virtualization, does guest OS inherit host OS security?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

In virtualization, does guest OS inherit host OS security?

I don't have in virtual systems installed, but there is something I have been wondering about...
    If you install Windows 7 as a guest OS in a virtual system: KVM, Virtualbox, VMware, etc, does the host OS, *buntu, provide any security to the guest OS.
    Does the guest OS inherit host OS security?
    Cheers,
    I am not an expert on anything, but I pretend to be one at times.
    Software expands to consume available system resources.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: In virtualization, does guest OS inherit host OS security?

Sorta, but not really.

The hostOS has features that can make Windows easier to recover after pwnage, like LVM snapshots.
    Also, the host networking can be configured in different ways to protect the guests or not.

We treat all our KVM guests like physical machines and don't make use of much hypervisor-specific capabilities for any purposes. If I need a remote desktop into a desktop VM, I setup x2go inside the VM. The VM host doesn't know anything about that. When we do backups, the backup server connects to each VM (and the host) like they are each physical machines and does the "pull" backups nightly. We have been playing with sheepdog for backend, redundant, storage replicated across multiple nodes and that is tied to KVM specifically, but that's the only thing I think we do specific to the hypervisor. I wasted about 4 yrs trying to get solid, fast, efficient, backups working treating the VMs like they were VMs. In the end, that was a waste of time and just too slow. I suppose some smarter people may have found a way to use the hypervisor features to accomplish daily, versioned, fast, efficient with storage backups, but I've never seen any.

All hypervisors are not created equal. Each has strengths and weaknesses that you'll want to decide during or before you deploy based on your needs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by him610 View Post
    If you install Windows 7 as a guest OS in a virtual system: KVM, Virtualbox, VMware, etc, does the host OS, *buntu, provide any security to the guest OS.
    Does the guest OS inherit host OS security?
    it doesn't inherit. in fact an infected windows in VM can (potentially) influence files in Ubuntu. the only thing that is worth mentioning here is that os in VM can be sand boxed/ jailed / closed off. so you can infect the WM but not Ubuntu for example.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It is worth noting that VMs aren't 100% protection for the host and definitely not for the LAN.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article...in-virtualbox/ is about virtualbox, but every hypervisor has had VM breakout issues.

What we each should do and the level of our concerns for these risks depends on what is at stake.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

TheFu and mastablasta, thanks for the advice.

I have one seldom used legacy machine that dual boots LTS 16.04 and Win7. The only application I use with Win7 is tax software once a year to do my taxes. I was considering donating the legacy machine (along with other computers that I need to get rid of) and rehosting Win7 in a virtual machine on a newer computer, and wanted to get an idea of what risks can be expected.
    Cheers,
    I am not an expert on anything, but I pretend to be one at times.
    Software expands to consume available system resources.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

If you're only going to use the VM once in a while, like to do taxes, I don't see much of a threat.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The danger in using Windows comes from open access to the internet and by sharing infected files on the LAN. If you only use Windows for specific purposes, like taxes, and it is only used to retrieve data for that program, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Just don't do high risk activities with it, like reading email or using a browser. This is is advice for any Windows user, IMHO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

A problem is that support for Windows 7 goes to jan 2020 and then it ends. And that there is still a huge user base so that exploits may be found and circulate on the internet. I wouldn't use 7 in 2020 but then again I don't use it now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by jdeca57 View Post
    A problem is that support for Windows 7 goes to jan 2020 and then it ends. And that there is still a huge user base so that exploits may be found and circulate on the internet. I wouldn't use 7 in 2020 but then again I don't use it now.
    meh, 3rd parties still make good security software (antivirus, firewall, various unwanted app blocking...) for winXP... sometimes you need to pay for it but it still makes the OS safe to use.

so win7 and 3rd party support for it, is definitely going to linger around for a while. particularly with some currently exposed win 10 upgrades issues. so while it wont be the safest OS option out there, it will be good enough to so some taxes on it maybe even play a game or two.

i am a WindowsXP user. but lately it get's fired up only on weekends for a game or two. and even this is not every week lately (discovering steam and the tricks and traps of linux gaming)
    and tax report this year was really smooth under linux (they even prepared us a .deb file, and nice install instructions for signing component). now if all our government agencies and such could move to this tool it would make life a lot easier.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you don't use the OS on the internet, no browsing, no emails, no hinky things, and your LAN doesn't spew viruses, there isn't much risk for using an unpatched OS.

AV is only 50% effective. https://www.csoonline.com/article/31...d-at-last.html It provides a false sense of protection that doesn't exist. Viruses are self-modifying as they replicate to avoid detection. I haven't used AV since 2012-ish. But I don't do high risk activities with Windows. From 2008 - 2012, only had AV running due to contractual mandates for E&O Professional Insurance. It never found anything.

BTW, I was hacked in 2016 ... through bluetooth ... on a fully patched Ubuntu while at a conference. I've had Linux installs hacked a few times prior to that, but not recently. Nothing teaches more about security than being hacked. 2002 and 1993-ish are when the other two hacks happened.
    Last edited by TheFu; February 19th, 2019 at 07:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast