Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In virtualization, does guest OS inherit host OS security?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: In virtualization, does guest OS inherit host OS security?

No inheritance, but you can make your whole setup more safe and secure.

I do all my financial stuff like banking and Paypal in a virtual machine (VM) and that has the following advantages:
    - Use the VM for that purpose exclusively. No other browsing means no chance on contamination.
    - You system is only online for minutes per day.
    - Your firewall can block all inbound traffic.

I test all new Apps and other stuff first in a Test-VM. So if something goes wrong, I roll back to a previous snapshot or restore the VM from a backup.

If I have any problem with Windows, I can roll back to a previous snapshot or restore the Windows-VM from a backup.

I wanted to re-apply an old Pentium as PC for visitors, mostly children of family and friends. I wanted to use BTRFS with two IDE disks in Raid-0 and LZO compression, to speed up the disk IO. BTRFS was completely new for me, so I could try out the whole setup of that Pentium in a VM.

I use the Host facilities to keep my Virtual Machines in good shape.
    - I use ZFS to store my Virtual Machines (VM) and I use ZFS to snapshot and back them up weekly. ZFS only adds the changed blocks to the backup, so my backup of 200 GB of 15 Virtual Machines to an USB-2 HDD takes mostly less than 30 minutes. ZFS has many other advantages like; efficient compression (lz4); memory and SSD caching; never anymore corrupted files due to power-fails or system crashes.
    - If you use ext4, you could also use Virtualbox to create the snapshots and use rsync or grsync to back them up. Probably the best way to start, concentrate on one problem first.
    - You could also use BTRFS and except SSD caching it would give you the same facilities as ZFS.
    Last edited by lammert-nijhof; February 10th, 2019 at 12:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: In virtualization, does guest OS inherit host OS security?

To everyone who responded to the discussion, thank you.
    You all have given me several ideas to consider
    Cheers,
    I am not an expert on anything, but I pretend to be one at times.
    Software expands to consume available system resources.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12