Thread: [Help] Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS completely deleted Nvidia drivers

Beans

Exclamation [Help] Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS completely deleted Nvidia drivers

Hello community,
    my issue is the following. I went sleeping and I had Nvidia drivers, I woke up and I didn't anymore. The screen said: Ubuntu internal error occured and from that point on I have no Nvidia drivers. The cudNN library is also completely wiped off. The laptop was not even doing anything overnight. Usually I used to train neural network models overnight, that night I didn't do absolutely anything, the laptop was on and idle. The graphics card is G970M. I need to get it back, and I think without good reason Ubuntu shouldn't allow such destructive operations without permission.
    The picture currently is:
    llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 256 bits) <<< that is what it's using for the graphics at the moment.
    lsmod | grep nouveau <<< prints nothing
    lsmod | grep nvidia <<< prints nothing
    nvidia-smi <<< prints "NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running."

drivers.png
    I also have that.
    I blacklisted nouveau drivers like pointed out in the following guidelines:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/4814...H9wzrOaTS7fiwU

My computer is using gdm3. None of the following commands do anything useful to me:
    sudo service lightdm stop <<< this command makes the screen go black with a blinking cursor at (0,0) of the screen. Not allowing me to enter anything.

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop <<< this command does not even exist on my computer

sudo service gdm3 stop <<< executes, nothing visually changes

ctl+alt+f1
    the last one just makes me re-log-in in my ubuntu account and then starts up the GUI. As far as I understood, it should be Ubuntu in text-mode, it's not, it is a perfect GUI version of GUI, just like another workspace.

Lastly, I am trying to install manually downloaded Nvidia drivers from an executable installer from the official Nvidia website and what the installer complains about is:
    nvidia_error.png

nvidia-settings <<< prints, ERROR: NVIDIA driver is not loaded, ERROR: Unable to load info from any available system

I hope that info gives you enough of the full picture. If you can offer any help, that would be highly valuable. I spoke to another person who experienced EXACTLY the same problem and ended up re-installing the whole ubuntu OS. I cannot afford that because I had heavy-to-compile libraries which took me tons of time and I am rather trying to avoid that.

I really need the cuda optimizations because my work is now blocked because of that. The last time I had absolutely no problem installing Nvidia drivers, this time is a mess. For comparison an Epoch would take me 30min. with the cuda, without is 6h now.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: [Help] Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS completely deleted Nvidia drivers

Do not attempt to install the drivers right from the Nvidia site: this will cause nothing but problems. Always install from the repositories.

Where did you originally get the Nvidia driver from?

Beans

Re: [Help] Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS completely deleted Nvidia drivers

Check the little gear icon at the login screen -- it should NOT have wayland selected. Selecting Wayland will (now) automatically switch the video drivers off Nvidia, probably to i915 for the integrated video hardware.