Thread: VMWare Horizon Client via Ubuntu Software Center

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

VMWare Horizon Client via Ubuntu Software Center

Iíve followed the instructions below to install VMWare Horizon Client 4.10 via Ubuntu Software Center on Ubuntu 18.10:
    https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Ho...A87C57FC6.html

However, even after Iíve enabled Canonical Partners, restarted Ubuntu Software Center and ran sudo apt-get update from the terminal window I get nothing. Iíve searched for VMWare, VMWare Horizon Client and vmware-view-client. This is a brand new installation on an HP Pavilion 3168NGW dual-booting to Windows 10. Since I havenít done anything crazy yet, Iím baffled why this simple procedure wonít work.

On a side note, I attempted to install via the bundle with similar luck:
    https://lts.lehigh.edu/services/step...n-client-linux
    https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/det...578&rPId=29503
    (I obviously changed the name of the file from VMWare-Horizon-Client-4.5.0-5650368.x64.bundle to the version downloaded)

In that case, I got all the way up to the ďsudo ./VMWare-Horizon-Client-4.5.0-5650368.x64.bundleĒ command, but it gave me an error that Python wasnít installed. I confirmed that I have Python 3.2 so Iím super confused. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: VMWare Horizon Client via Ubuntu Software Center

Thread moved to Virtualisation as the more appropriate forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Shouldnít this be moved back to General Help? Iím not requesting help with using VMWare, Iím having trouble installing it. It seems to me that this same problem could crop up with all types of software that I attempt to install since the issue is related to software showing up in Ubuntu Software Center and python not initiating properly. Iím pretty confident itís user error on my behalf, but Iím all out of ideas. Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by herschen View Post
    Iíve followed the instructions below to install VMWare Horizon Client 4.10 via Ubuntu Software Center on Ubuntu 18.10
    The package was only available with Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04

..I got all the way up to the ďsudo ./VMWare-Horizon-Client-4.5.0-5650368.x64.bundleĒ command, but it gave me an error that Python wasnít installed. I confirmed that I have Python 3.2 so Iím super confused. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    Seems to have installed ok in a fresh 18.10

hugh@cosmic:~/Downloads$ chmod a+x VMware-Horizon-Client-4.10.0-11053294.x64.bundle
    hugh@cosmic:~/Downloads$ sudo ./VMware-Horizon-Client-4.10.0-11053294.x64.bundle
    [sudo] password for hugh:
    Extracting VMware Installer...done.
    Please copy/paste the terminal input/output ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

It seems that Python is installed but at the same time not installed:

I get this error message when I attempt to install VMWare Horizon:
    herschen@herschen-HP-Pavilion-Laptop-15-cc6xx:~/Downloads$ chmod a+x VMware-Horizon-Client-4.10.0-11053294.x64.bundle
    herschen@herschen-HP-Pavilion-Laptop-15-cc6xx:~/Downloads$ sudo ./VMware-Horizon-Client-4.10.0-11053294.x64.bundle
    [sudo] password for herschen:
    Extracting VMware Installer...done.
    /tmp/vmis.bSGvZQ/install/vmware-installer/vmware-installer: line 76: python: command not found

I looked to confirm if there was Python installed by typing in "type -a python" and got back "not found":
    herschen@herschen-HP-Pavilion-Laptop-15-cc6xx:~/Downloads$ type -a python
    bash: type: python: not found

However, I found that python is installed and when I tried to reinstall it, it told me that it's already installed:
    herschen@herschen-HP-Pavilion-Laptop-15-cc6xx:~/Downloads$ ls -l /usr/bin/python*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Oct 25 04:11 /usr/bin/python3 -> python3.6
    -rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4534680 Oct 22 04:32 /usr/bin/python3.6
    -rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4534680 Oct 22 04:32 /usr/bin/python3.6m
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Oct 25 04:11 /usr/bin/python3m -> python3.6m

herschen@herschen-HP-Pavilion-Laptop-15-cc6xx:~/Downloads$ sudo apt-get install python3
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    python3 is already the newest version (3.6.7-1~18.10).
    python3 set to manually installed.
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    libncursesw5 libtinfo5
    Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
    herschen@herschen-HP-Pavilion-Laptop-15-cc6xx:~/Downloads$

I then ran sudo apt-get install --reinstall python and attempted the install again. Unfortunately with the same results. Since I literally just installed Ubuntu, I have no issue with attempting a fresh install if needed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Problem solved! It looks like the soft link to Pythons’s executable was broken for some reason. The below command fixed everything. Your quick response helped me tremendously as I was way too focused on trying to install via "Ubuntu Software Center." Thanks.

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/python3.6 /usr/bin/python