Thread: Stellarium in Repo?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Stellarium in Repo?

I'm just curious, but why has Stellarium disappeared from Ubuntu Software?

repo.jpg

Furthermore, it seems to have disappeared from Installed Software on my laptop. Although it's still actually there.

stella.jpg

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Stellarium in Repo?

I don't know why but if you want/need it:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stellarium/stellarium-releases
    sudo apt update
    This has always been very well maintained with "my" experience using it (FWIW). https://launchpad.net/~stellarium/+a...arium-releases
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

well it is. Which Ubuntu is it? (Screenshot from 18.04)

If you are using Ubuntu 16.04 then maybe it doesn't show up in the Software Centre since the SC's listing is not complete and they are adding more stuffs as time goes on. But you can find it in synaptic.

Anyway the repo's version is old. To get the newest version you can either use this ppa
    or download the appimage from stellarium's website
    To use the appimage, right click, in Properties > Permission check allow to run as a program then you can just run it by clicking.
    Then there is a flatpak which will also be updated regularly as you see from my screenshot but that is because I have installed flatpak and added the flathub repo, it won't show in your system if you haven't done that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; January 26th, 2019 at 05:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    I don't know why but if you want/need it:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stellarium/stellarium-releases
    sudo apt update
    This has always been very well maintained with "my" experience using it (FWIW). https://launchpad.net/~stellarium/+a...arium-releases
    OK thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    well it is. Which Ubuntu is it? (Screenshot from 18.04)

If you are using Ubuntu 16.04 then maybe it doesn't show up in the Software Centre since the SC's listing is not complete and they are adding more stuffs as time goes on. But you can find it in synaptic.

Anyway the repo's version is old. To get the newest version you can either use this ppa
    or download the appimage from stellarium's website
    To use the appimage, right click, in Properties > Permission check allow to run as a program then you can just run it by clicking.
    Thanks. I'm running 16.04 LTS, before that I ran 14.04 for years and Stellarium has always been in the repo. It was in a few weeks ago as I uninstalled then reinstalled it from the repo. I have a copy of it on my laptop. I don't understand why Stellarium has disappeared from the installed programs list though, as I can still use it.

Beans
    Distro

It's back!

reposun1.jpg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I see Stellarium in synaptic tough you'll probably get the latest updates with the PPA. Enjoy !
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    I see Stellarium in synaptic tough you'll probably get the latest updates with the PPA. Enjoy !
    Thanks. I'm guessing that its temporary disappearance was due to site maintenance on the repo.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

My go-to program has been Aqualung, a gapless music player, which disappeared from the repos some time ago. There was a PPA, which has not been updated since Trusty Tahr, and 18.04 is Cosmic Cuttlefish, so it's been quite some time.

So, having a few successes with compiling source code, I downloaded the Aqualung source code, read what dependencies are required, including compiling GTK2, and, finally the missing -dev files, and successfully compiled the program.

It's really not as hard as people think, and the compiled program will be customized for your system. Obviously, 98% of my programs are from the repos, and some PPAs.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819