Thread: Switching from lubuntu to ubuntu

Beans

Question Switching from lubuntu to ubuntu

Hello! I recently downloaded lubuntu on my surface pro 1 (yes, it still hasn't melted itself) but I wanted to uninstall it and install a fresh copy of ubuntu instead. How do I go about doing this? I have found various places that say to install it using the "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop" command but that doesn't install a fresh copy of ubuntu it just adds features to the lubuntu. Please help! Thank you in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Switching from lubuntu to ubuntu

You could just download Ubuntu and do a clean install by overwriting Lubuntu. Make sure that you back up anything that you need first!

Beans

Thank you autodave! I downloaded the .iso file on a flashdrive but I am having trouble to boot the surface pro from the flashdrive to start the fresh install. I am sorry I am a noob :/

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi, raagcity94+,

and welcome to the forums!

You have to create a bootable USB flash drive. You can use the inbuilt Startup Disk Creator to do it. If you can't find it in the menu, the command to run it is:
    Code:
    usb-creator-gtk
    If it's not installed install it:
    Code:
    sudo apt install usb-creator-gtk
    Instructions to boot the Surface from the USB can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...m-a-usb-device

In short: Turn it off, hold down the Volume Down key, turn it on and wait for instructions.

Beans

Ahh this worked thank you sisco311 and Autodave!