Thread: "nvidia-driver-415 (open source)"?

Beans

"nvidia-driver-415 (open source)"?

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on Ubuntu forums so go easy on me if I am not posting correctly.

I am running a Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 in my Ubuntu 18.04 system.

When I open up the Software & Updates program, it states that I have the restricted repository enabled. But when I switch to the Additional Drivers tab it states that I have enabled "Using NVIDIA driver metapackage from nvidia-driver 415 (open source)".

I have installed Ubuntu a couple of times and this is the only time that it has stated that that package is open source.

Isn't the nvidia-driver-415 metapackage suppose to be closed source from NVIDIA themselves and the Nouveau display driver is suppose to be open source? I would prefer the closed source driver installed. Do I have the right package installed?

Thank you, in advance.

Beans

Re: "nvidia-driver-415 (open source)"?

I would suspect you have the graphics-drivers ppa enabled. (nvidia-410 and 415 aren't available in the standard Ubuntu repos
    If so then all of their drivers show up as " (open source)", why no idea but certainly not the case.. (as far as the drivers source, maybe the metapackage itself is 'open source' ??

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: "nvidia-driver-415 (open source)"?

You have the right package installed. I am assuming that everything is working OK?