Thread: Merging accounts/changing username

Beans

Merging accounts/changing username

Let me start by saying: I am confused.

Once upon a time I created accounts at:
    - askubuntu
    - ubuntuforums
    - UbuntuOne

I thought somewhere along the way that you could just create a login to UbuntuOne and that gave you access to post on those above mentioned sites, but that didn't seem to be the case so I created new accounts all over the place. I tried changing my information at one of those sites just now but the action was blocked and I was referred to changing it at x because I apparently created my account originally there. So I wound up at UbuntuOne and changed the information successfully but now I can't seem to make new posts at ubuntuforums nor post in my last thread (and my old username is still showing up there despite the changes at UbuntuOne were successful).

Do you see why I am confused? I have no idea how these sites are connected and I think it's a shame that changing your information on a simple forum is more complicated than doing the equivalent at your bank.

So, what I want to achieve is the following:
    I want to change my username for all Ubuntu sites: I want one password, one e-mail, one username - how do I accomplish this? Do I have to delete one of the accounts?

Yes, I read https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2234107, am I supposed to write it here? And what about the e-mail adress as I mentioned?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Merging accounts/changing username

The reason you can't post anywhere else in the forum but in this section is that you changed your email address in your forum account, but you have not yet re-activated your account from the verification email sent to the new address.

Verify your new email and you should be fine here. As you can see, you successfully logged into your forum account from your Ubuntu One account. The only thing hampering you at the moment is the aforesaid lack of verification.

We do not administer askubuntu. It is an entirely independent setup from us. I can't help you with that.

If you want a different username here, please post three alternatives in order of preference and I'll see what is available. You should be able to change your username in your Ubuntu One account yourself. Askubuntu - see above.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Verify your new email and you should be fine here. As you can see, you successfully logged into your forum account from your Ubuntu One account. The only thing hampering you at the moment is the aforesaid lack of verification.
    But I did verify my new e-mail adress. If this didn't go through for some reason, how can I get a new verification e-mail? The previous one has expired.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jhf85 View Post
    But I did verify my new e-mail adress. If this didn't go through for some reason, how can I get a new verification e-mail? The previous one has expired.
    I've re-activated your account for you, rather than mess about with new verification emails.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

^Thank you!

If you could also kindly change my username to furioususer,I would appreciate it. If it's taken, put a 1,2 or 3 as suffix.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

All done. Good luck.

Beans

One last thing. I just went to Settings > Edit Email & Password (https://ubuntuforums.org/profile.php?do=editpassword) and found that my old mail was still listed there. How is that possible when I log in with my new mail address? I tried updating with my new e-mail and save changes, but it only gives me an error with the msg "that e-mail is already in use". I should be able to remove that address completely, but how?
    Oddly, it also says in the description above this field "Edit Email Address (Optional)". I don't get it. It's optional to put in your e-mail address? Apparently I could write some bogus address instead and still have access to my account here, so I wonder how this address is used.

Beans

+ now I can't reply in threads nor make new threads. I only get:
    furioususer, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of the following reasons:

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Sigh.

By changing your email (yet again) you again needed to re-activate your account from the verification email. I have done this for you - this time. I will not do this again.

Beans

Sorry to be a pain, but the question remains why my old e-mail address is still listed at Settings > Edit Email & Password despite you changing it yet again (thanks!)? I just don't want anything to be linked to the old address anymore. That is why I tried removing it but instead messed everything up. When I try to enter my new e-mail I get an error that says the address is already in use (that's why I can't verify my new address on my own).