Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UEFI boot loader entry disappears when cold booting, ASRock motherboard

Beans

Re: How to install GRUB into MBR without wiping existing partitions?

I'm keeping the secondary HDD disconnected for now, to remove it from the equation while I troubleshoot. So all tests now are with only the SDD connected, on SATA slot 1.

Here is what's happening:

After running the default boot-repair option, a NEW entry shows up in UEFI Setup's boot options, called "ubuntu", and is set to boot priority #1:
    https://imgur.com/wKSn1gj

As you can see, this entry is a separate entry from the SSD drive.
    Booting up with this "ubuntu" UEFI entry, I am greeted with a GRUB menu which then successfully gets me into the Ubuntu system installed on the SSD.
    https://imgur.com/bomxaiR

After a soft reboot, the "ubuntu" entry stays intact and everything continues to work.

However, when I completely shut down and disconnect the power, and then COLD boot, the "ubuntu" entry goes away! There is now only my SSD listed in UEFI setup, and once again I get the "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" error.

So, whatever boot-repair is doing is adding a temporary "ubuntu" boot option to UEFI which does not last through a power loss.

Also, I've tried updating UEFI setup on my ASRock board, and it says I already have the latest version

What are my options at this point? Do I have to abandon UEFI boot and somehow revert my drive to legacy boot?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Is that a Samsung system?
    A few brands do not like any entry other than "Windows Boot Manager".
    See if this works.
    If only booting Ubuntu we can change label to be the required Windows label, but boot shim.

d1: If Description has to be Windows then change UEFI description. Assumes ESP is sda1.
    sudo efibootmgr -c -L "Windows Boot Manager" -l "\EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi"

And most systems will boot a fallback or hard drive entry (similar to the boot of an external drive) at /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi. Most Windows systems make bootx64.efi as a copy of Windows boot manager. If you run Boot-Repair, it backs up bootx64.efi and makes a new one that really is shimx64.efi. Then it adds an entry to boot the bkpbootx64.efi.
    So if then you want to also boot Windows, see if you can add & boot /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi (as really shimx64.efi), entry label may be "Hard Drive" or something similar. Then you do not need ubuntu entry and can add Windows entry.

Boot-Repair now auto copies shimx64 to bootx64.efi. Before we had to manually do that.
    Older Samsung threads.
    Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus UEFI Install Troubles - manual copy of grub to /EFI/Boot
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2230919
    Installing Ubuntu 13.10 on a Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2203824
    Update UEFI/BIOS helped see ports and other issues.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

It's not a Samsung system, the motherboard is an ASRock FM2A85X-ITX.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Most of the Asrock systems I have seen have been Intel based.
    They have issues with Asmedia ports or never connect any drive to one of those. Do not know if you have Asmedia or not.

Gigabyte boards with AMD, need IOMMU settings changed in UEFI and boot parameter. So not know if that also applies to Asrock or not.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Have you tried to reinstall Grub to your SSD?. I am asking because I have found myself stymied on several occasions trying to get my primary OS to boot because I messed around with my dual-boot (and at one time triple-boot with two physical disks) setup. By messing around, I mean doing things like moving partitions and deleting swap files. Each time, using the method shown in the link below rescued me. I use legacy boot, rather than UEFI because I still dual-boot 32-bit Windows + Ubuntu. Frankly, I don't know if that makes any difference, but maybe it does.

https://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-repai...ubuntu-live-cd

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

UEFI & Legacy/BIOS/CSM boot are totally different.

Windows has to have gpt partitioning for UEFI boot and MBR(msdos) partitioning for BIOS boot.
    With BIOS, you install grub to the MBR or first sector of a drive and before the first partition. Only one system can be installed in MBR.
    UEFI uses an ESP - efi system partition (FAT32). Any number of systems can have folders in ESP and be directly booted from UEFI boot menu.

Beans

Hi, I am resurrecting this old thread because I'm still having the problem and I finally have some time to devote to fixing it.

Short recap:
    - SYSTEM: Ubuntu 16.04, motherboard is AMD-based ASRock FM2A85X-ITX.
    - PROBLEM: The UEFI bootloader disappears when cold booting. When I run boot-repair, it adds a new "ubuntu" entry to the boot menu, which works so long as I'm always hot rebooting. But as soon as I disconnect power and reconnect, the "ubuntu" entry disappears from the boot menu, and I get stuck at a black screen with flashing cursor because the system HDD has nothing to boot into.
    - TRIED SO FAR: I tried oldfred's suggestion of renaming the "ubuntu" bootloader to have the label "Windows Boot Manager", with the idea that maybe my mobo only officially supports UEFI booting into Windows. Unfortunately this suffered the same problem - the "Windows Boot Manager" entry disappeared when cold booting.

I'm thinking at this point I should probably just abandon UEFI and revert back to Legacy/BIOS/CSM boot, because my motherboard clearly does not support UEFI booting into Linux. Does that sound like the right course to take? How exactly do I revert back to Legacy boot?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: UEFI boot loader entry disappears when cold booting, ASRock motherboard

Have you updated UEFI to latest version available for your motherboard?
    That behavior is similar to when a drive is fully unplugged and UEFI removes entry from UEFI boot or changes to a default, but not standard boot.
    Does system maintain date correctly? If coin battery is old, it may need replacing. And then system loses settings when not connected to power.

You can add a tiny 1 or2MB unformatted partition with the bios_grub flag anywhere within the first 2TiB of a drive and install grub-pc, the BIOS version of grub.
    If you boot Ubuntu live installer in BIOS mode and use Boot-Repair's advanced options that should be an option.
    The bios_grub partition is required for BIOS version of grub to install to gpt partitioned drives. Grub has another file normally in empty sectors just after MBR, core.img, but with gpt those sectors do not exist, gpt just has the protective MBR.

Beans

Yes, I've upgraded to the latest UEFI for the motherboard. And yes, my system does retain date correctly over power loss, so don't think the CMOS battery is the culprit.

In order to install a BIOS boot partition at the beginning of sda, I will need to delete the EFI boot partition and replace it. Is it ok to do that?
    Last edited by Jugdish; May 21st, 2019 at 04:08 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You only need to shrink the ESP or any other partition by 2 or 3MB and create a 1 or 2MB unformatted partition with bios_grub flag.
    I normally used to have both ESP & bios_grub partitions particularly on my full installs to flash drives. But now have used UEFI and old BIOS system is not working, so stopped adding the bios_grub by default.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12