Thread: laptop won't shut down fully

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

laptop won't shut down fully

I have a Toshiba Sattelite, dual boot windows and Ubuntu, which was updated to 18.04 lts recently.
    Since today, when I shut down, the power light will not turn off. It's a 1 TB hard drive, not a solid state., so I don't want the power running all the time.

It boots up to the GRUB screen when I press the power button, allowing me to select windows or linux, and everything seems to behave normally, but when I shut down, the power button only dims instead of going off completely.

I've removed the battery, which turns the power button light off, but then it just goes back on when I put the battery back in. This has never happened before with this machine. I don't know if this is an Ubuntu thing or not, or if Toshiba did something without my knowledge. Is there a way to find out?

Thanks, Chopra

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: laptop won't shut down fully

did you modify the grub command line?
    How are you shutting down? top bar / power icon / power off? or press power button?
    - ThinkPad T570-20HA, i7-7600U, 2.8GHz, UEFI/GPT, 16GB, Sammy 512GB M.2 . Mint 21, Ubuntu 22.04.1, win. -

Beans
    Distro

No, I didn't modify grub. I shut down by logging off first, then the menu in the upper right screen has a power button icon. I click it and get a box that says "will power off in 60 seconds" and I click the power off opton.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by chopra View Post
    No, I didn't modify grub. I shut down by logging off first, then the menu in the upper right screen has a power button icon. I click it and get a box that says "will power off in 60 seconds" and I click the power off opton.
    curious as to why you logout first. I just do the poweroff in 60 sec, click poweroff button.
    - ThinkPad T570-20HA, i7-7600U, 2.8GHz, UEFI/GPT, 16GB, Sammy 512GB M.2 . Mint 21, Ubuntu 22.04.1, win. -

Beans
    Distro

It's just a habit I have. I figured it couldn't hurt to make sure everything shuts off properly. Maybe it's from my days as a windows user, when there's something always running that prevents logging off or shutting down. I never just hit the power button, sometimes I do shutdown from the drop-down menu.

I did check, however, and it looks like the dimly lit power button uses up very little energy. I had the battery charged to 100% at 10 PM, and in the morning, 12 hours later at 10 AM, I turned it back on and it was still at 100%.
    So this may not be a problem after all.

It is strange that it started all of a sudden, but it hasn't caused problems.