Thread: adding applications

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

adding applications

xubuntu 18.04
    I'm an old xubuntu user, new xubuntu install on new computer. When I went to install the apps that I use that aren't part of the distro (emacs, qmapshack, octave, gnucash, ..) , I didn't see synaptics package manager, but I found something just called 'software' in the applications dropdown (gnome-software). When I selected 'all' and searched, most of the of the apps that I wanted to install weren't listed. I'm used to using synaptics package manager & that wasn't installed. I Installed it and everthing works as expected.

Did I miss something? Shouldn't synaptics package manager be part of the xubuntu install? Should gnome-software show more packages? Now that I installed synaptics package manager gnome-software doesn't show up in the apps list.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: adding applications

Use the Software icon to install Synaptic and then use Synaptic. That is the ONLY thing that I install from the software center.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Or use terminal command
    Code:
    sudo apt install synaptic
    and then use synaptic after that to install or remove packages.

I agree that it is very annoying that it has gone from the *ubuntu family as it is by far the best GUI package manager available for all of the OSs that I use that are based on Debian.

Many users seem to believe it is too complicated; perhaps I've been using it for too long now to see its difficulties in use

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It sure sounds like synaptic should be part of the distro!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I agree. But the developers don't seem to think so. Unfortunate.

It might be time to go over to the "Things I dislike about Ubuntu" thread ...
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by bradhaack View Post
    It sure sounds like synaptic should be part of the distro!
    It used to be included in the default install. I found it to be incredibly helpful not for installing software (which it was, of course) but for demonstrating exactly what was going on so it can click for the user: when you see that a package needs other packages to work, and they each get downloaded from Internet servers, you're most of the way to understanding package management.

For the user of the simplified App Store, useful things are not installable at all, and the process is: 1. Press the button. 2. A miracle occurs, and either the software is installed or the computer is destroyed, seemingly at random.

Flattening and hiding everything is part of establishing a brand, rather than making the computer better to use, and follows Gnome in that regard - which is understandable - and Google and Apple - which is less so.

It's worth noting that Muon, which is included with Kubuntu, is just as good as Synaptic. As far as I'm concerned, Gnome has been going in the wrong direction for some time now.
    Last edited by CatKiller; January 16th, 2019 at 05:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by bradhaack View Post
    Should gnome-software show more packages? Now that I installed synaptics package manager gnome-software doesn't show up in the apps list.
    Synaptic rocks, but I'm puzzled by the disappearance of gnome-software after you've installed synaptic. I'm on Xubuntu 18.04, and I installed synaptic, too. But it didn't remove gnome-software! Look:
    software-utils.jpg

There isn't a limit on how many package managers installed on the system. I run gnome-software to check user reviews on newfangled packages sometimes. it's handy.