Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Ubuntu over Fedora

Beans

Arrow Why Ubuntu over Fedora

This isn't a bash thread. I have used both and I'm curious as to your thoughts...

For those that have used both or at least know enough about both - what do you prefer more about Ubuntu than say Fedora? Where does Fedora fall short in comparison.

They are both SO big - I am genuinely curious what you think about the two head to head.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Why Ubuntu over Fedora

Thread moved, better placed in Ubuntu Linux & OS Chat.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

APT and PPAs. LTS support periods.
    Known release dates that are met. I know every even year in April, there **will** 100% be an Ubuntu LTS release. No wondering.

Spent a few years in "RPM hell" and don't want to do that again, but that situation was likely user error. It was about 20 yrs ago.

Beans

ppas and in general more software in the debian ecosystem than in Redhat/fedora it seems. in Ubuntu even if needing to compile from source (say you want the latest and greatest or enable some features not turned on in the "official build") it is fairly easy in general to assembly the dependencies with apt install but in my experience not so with Fedora, so you may have to also compile those libraries.

I dualbooted Fedora with Ubuntu for a few years (up to and include Fedora 25 so my experience is relatively recent) Ubuntu always works (nothing show stopping anyway) but somehow there is always at least one serious issue on the Fedora side, if not at install it would appear after a few updates. So in my mind it is just not that stable, unlike Ubuntu LTS, all Fedora releases are kind of beta and Fedora devs apparently don't particularly care if something is broken.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; January 15th, 2019 at 08:35 PM.

Beans

I was going to try Fedora on my HTPC / Server. Gave up after a bit. So many things that I take for granted already being done in Ubuntu need manual intervention on Fedora. Software availability in the repos is another one. I don't like compiling if I can avoid it. I don't like having to go out of main repos just to get a driver or firmware that my system flat out needs to function. I agree with the whole free software thing but I refuse to go out of my way to get basic functionality from my machines when I can get it by default in Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    APT and PPAs. LTS support periods....
    ^^^ This ^^^, particularly APT and PPAs for me. I only briefly tried Fedora installs a couple of times, versions 21 and later on version 23. Both installs only lasted a couple of months at the most.

I had learnt Linux on Debian systems with Ubuntu and Debian itself; the change to RPMs and the differences in available packages made it a bit too much for me to stick with Fedora.

I think originally Ubuntu was designed for use with beginners right from the start, that is, it was initially designed as a debian system with "ease of use" the primary goal. Red Hat was very much business orientated and the community that used it formed Fedora which I believe may contribute to the difficulties I experienced. Though my very brief stints using Fedora are not such a good basis in judging the system; It just didn't suit my level of experience with Linux at the time whereas Ubuntu and even Debian itself were a perfect fit for me.

I do remember trialing Red Hat 7 back in the very early 2000s, about 2001 or 2002, long before Ubuntu was initially released. I couldn't get my head around RH then and still seemingly can't with Fedora but I took to Ubuntu in 2007 "like a duck takes to water".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

APT is similar to dnf in Fedora. Both work about as well.

PPAs are similar to rpmfusion, the rpmfusion third party repos, and livna. Both sides have a lot of stuff -- more than you could ever use.

Stability? I've personally had fewer problems with Fedora than Ubuntu.

LTS? Since upgrades in Fedora are so simple and rarely fail, that isn't a very useful comparison.

Why Ubuntu over Fedora? There is no need to be wedded to one or the other. You don't take any vows. It's not a religion. You can have both without guilt. Why even bring this down to a choice between them?

Remember Fedora's place in the Red Hat universe. It's the test bed. It is maintained by a team of community members and Red Hat engineers. That's a very powerful combination.

Separate brand loyalty and emotion from the equation and you gain a different perspective. If Ubuntu disappeared tomorrow I wouldn't blink. I'd just use my Fedora machines until I converted the rest over to Fedora or CentOS.

I'd miss only this community. If there is anything at all that might make a "which is better" discussion worthwhile, it would be that single thing.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

if i had to convert i would convert to centOS or one of it's derivatives as it has a longer support period. but debian would also have to dissapear. i mean their documentation and range of supported systems is hard to ignore.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

maglin2 is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

This thread prompted me to try out a Fedora 29 liveUSB.
    Obviously that is not enough experience to allow a comparison.
    One thing I can note though is that Fedora 29 booted up without fuss or any need for user input on my ancient HP Compaq 6710b. Ubuntu 18.04 doesn't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Fedora isn't bad, but it has a short release circle and that puts it on the level of a type of distribution like Manjaro. Always a bit of uncertainty and the chance something may go wrong. I have a dual-boot Ubuntu-Fedora and I use Fedora about once a week for a few hours. I backup to a shared drive and have all my data. My feeling is that Ubuntu is the more stable choice but then again I never had problems with Fedora.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast