Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Ubuntu over Fedora

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Why Ubuntu over Fedora

Fedora, openSUSE etc. have come a long way to be more ready to go OOTB, and they are great distro's also. I think it is very much a case of user familiarity rather than user friendliness that separate them. For me personally I gravitate towards Ubuntu (and Ubuntu based distro's) because currently Steam, Proton and various other gaming related endeavors has Ubuntu as the target OS thus it typically is easier to set up and more likely to work.

Except for the latest default wallpaper I saw on Fedora SilverBlue which I don't care for I would say that the default wallpapers for Fedora for the last few years are top notch (and there will never be a more epic release than the Beefy Miracle )
    Last edited by thenailedone; April 18th, 2019 at 06:07 PM. Reason: grammar etc.
    Gaming on Linux has never been better - Check out Proton on Steam (great user made Proton Database) and Lutris
    How to ask questions the smart way

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    i just wish there would be longer support period in Kubuntu 5 years at least but would like to see 7 or even 10. once all is setup i really hate to do the upgrade, especially since upgrades are not working well too often and since new OS versions could mean loss of existing hardware support overnight.
    How about a Rolling-Release Ubuntu? It could be a 5-10 year project.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

rolling has same issue. hardware can suddenly stop working, there is loss of compatibility, loss of functionality in applications and in OS.

for example in windows i would sometimes keep applications deliberately on same version, when i know that they will break something i need or will have less functions on new version. i think this is OK as long as they are not connected with internet. most older games are like this. you can keep them on certain version if you know they work well. or at least until propper patches are made. in linux even the troublesome software is pushed to you (in a rolling distro). well for software this is maybe not such a big issue, but there is issue when you talk about drivers.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    rolling has same issue. hardware can suddenly stop working, there is loss of compatibility, loss of functionality in applications and in OS.

for example in windows i would sometimes keep applications deliberately on same version, when i know that they will break something i need or will have less functions on new version. i think this is OK as long as they are not connected with internet. most older games are like this. you can keep them on certain version if you know they work well. or at least until propper patches are made. in linux even the troublesome software is pushed to you (in a rolling distro). well for software this is maybe not such a big issue, but there is issue when you talk about drivers.
    One of the best things about "rolling releases" is that you can "roll-back" to a previous version if the new version isn't stable.

The software repos, as well as the PPA's are what would make a Rolling Release Ubuntu amazing!
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans

Another reason: For new users like me Ubuntu is more simpler and easier to learn

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Tried Red Hat and Suse many years ago, and probably Fedora. First time I ever used Ubuntu (6.04?), I said to nobody in particular, "This is really neat!" Been using *buntu ever since. Maybe I am stuck in a rut. It would only take a short while to get accustomed to Fedora, but I am more than satisfied with Xubuntu 18.04, 19.04, and 19.10. Why change? If I did change, it would be to Debian.

Besides, I have not found any other support forums as patient, informative, supportive, and friendly as the Ubuntu Forum. You can really find a lot of good expert advice here.
    Last edited by him610; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:00 AM. Reason: Added an afterthought
    Cheers,
    I am not an expert on anything, but I pretend to be one at times.
    Software expands to consume available system resources.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
    One of the best things about "rolling releases" is that you can "roll-back" to a previous version if the new version isn't stable.

The software repos, as well as the PPA's are what would make a Rolling Release Ubuntu amazing!
    the roll back is a nice feature.

but when you would have to roll back for specific application or driver it would get complicated.

windows 10 is now rolling distro.

i think if the OS is rolling and offers backwards hardware compatibility, but at the same time user can stick to app versions (snap) could be a way to go.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans

I think you can't go wrong with either, but in terms of reasons to pick one or the other, I think it depends on the user.

I believe that for new Linux users, or for Linux users who have moved past tinkering and want the OS to just work, Ubuntu (in general) is a better option. Easier to get setup and running (i.e. when it comes to proprietary software and drivers, although this is not "hard" to do in Fedora), better support for drivers and software in general, and if you run into any issues, chances are you are going to find somewhere in the web a solution specific for Ubuntu.

Fedora is a great option for people who like to tinker or who want (or need to) get access to newer software (repos are a bit more "bleeding-edge" than Ubuntu's), or if you work with Red Hat servers a lot (which are more common in the Enterprise than Ubuntu servers, at least in my experience), it is just easier to be used to one packet manager and one style of distro. Also, if you like KDE, I prefer to go with Fedora and then installing Plasma (not the Fedora KDE spin, as it is bloated ), than to go with Kubuntu (at least not the LTS), as you'd get a newer version of Plasma with Fedora (which is better when it comes to Plasma). I also prefer dnf over apt but don't mind apt, it's just that dnf update makes more sense than apt-get update then upgrade

Just my opinion

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Fedora is unusual in many ways. Check out your "/boot/efi" files after installing. The entire grub.cfg is in there along with a bunch more files. Another thing a bit odd. I had Fedora installed, then I decided to try FedoraKDE. It all went as planned until I wanted to boot the orignal Fedora. Not there. Ubuntu al least has the since to add all OS's when installing. Fedora installs Windows and itself and that's it.

I'm sure I can use 'update-grub", but still your'd think... I'll try it right now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu is Debian based while Fedora is based on RHEL, In my opinion there is no need to compare two different platforms. Its a matter of personal choice. But of course Ubuntu is more stable than Fedora and its my personal choice too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast