Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Ubuntu over Fedora

Beans

Re: Why Ubuntu over Fedora

Hello,
    As you ask why Ubuntu over Fedora
    Ubuntu is based on Debian, more user-friendly. It aims to “smooth” the experience, and make installation, use and maintenance easier for end users.
    on the other side, Fedora is based on Red Hat’s community project its innovate for the Linux server. it is more complex then Ubuntu.
    That's why more people prefer Ubuntu then Fedora.
    Thanks and Regards
    Afflospark

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Have used both, dual-booted both at various times.

I kept coming back to Ubuntu as my main distro though because I ran into too many issues with package management and updates in Fedora.

For the most part, as long as one sticks to the official repos etc,. Ubuntu is just more stable in my opinion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I like the stability of Ubuntu and I use computers from 2010 and don't need the newest drivers etc.

Ubuntu is user friendly where Fedora has one hell of a learning curve from my experience.

Most of all I like Ubuntu and it works well for what I do on my computers so why change.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jdeca57 View Post
    Fedora isn't bad, but it has a short release circle and that puts it on the level of a type of distribution like Manjaro. Always a bit of uncertainty and the chance something may go wrong. I have a dual-boot Ubuntu-Fedora and I use Fedora about once a week for a few hours. I backup to a shared drive and have all my data. My feeling is that Ubuntu is the more stable choice but then again I never had problems with Fedora.
    Fedora's cycle is longer than Ubuntu's intermediary releases. Ubuntu=9 months, Fedora=2 releases+one month.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Stability? I've personally had fewer problems with Fedora than Ubuntu.
    Agreed. I've been using Fedora since late November last year and tend to use it more than Ubuntu now.
    Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    Ubuntu is user friendly where Fedora has one hell of a learning curve from my experience.
    Fedora gets easier to set up each time you need to do it but it takes a while to find and install all the packages which are equivalent to 'ubuntu-restricted-extras/addons'. Additionally, I've had to compile from source code a couple of applications that are missing in Fedora.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubi1200 View Post
    I ran into too many issues with package management and updates in Fedora.
    Yes, installing updates can be problematical. For example, Chromium from the official repositories and some of the codecs that available from RPMFusion are often released a week apart so there are version conflicts and loss of functionality.
    The Bug Squad needs your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    Fedora gets easier to set up each time you need to do it but it takes a while to find and install all the packages which are equivalent to 'ubuntu-restricted-extras/addons'. Additionally, I've had to compile from source code a couple of applications that are missing in Fedora.
    If I was to put forth the time and effort to learn the how to of Fedora I have no doubt it would be an excellent choice.

I'm retired and don't want to spend the time necessary to learn Fedora when Ubuntu 18.04 works great. (I'm Guilty I'm Lazy)
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    ...Fedora gets easier to set up each time you need to do it but it takes a while to find and install all the packages which are equivalent to 'ubuntu-restricted-extras/addons'. Additionally, I've had to compile from source code a couple of applications that are missing in Fedora.

Yes, installing updates can be problematical. For example, Chromium from the official repositories and some of the codecs that available from RPMFusion are often released a week apart so there are version conflicts and loss of functionality.
    I find that Fedora installation process takes a bit of learning. I didn't know what I was doing wrong at first. The bottom link tells me what went wrong, but it still took some errors to find the answer.
    One thing I don't like about anaconda is not having the ability to not update boot (sda). Ubiquity has the "-b" option that does just that.
    Also I have issues with either/or. Install Ubuntu and it won't allow booting Fedora. Install Fedora and it won't allow booting Ubuntu. Both using Secure Boot on. It has something to do with signed shims. I found a way around this, but still a hassle.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    Also I have issues with either/or. Install Ubuntu and it won't allow booting Fedora. Install Fedora and it won't allow booting Ubuntu. Both using Secure Boot on. It has something to do with signed shims. I found a way around this, but still a hassle.
    Interesting. Admittedly it was a good few years ago when I dual-booted both but at the time I would install Fedora first then Ubuntu and let GRUB from Ubuntu take care of everything. Booting them together was never the issue I had with Fedora but, as you pointed out, package management.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Over the years I have done what most Linux users tend to do, and that is distro-hop. It's great to see how other distributions work "out of the box," and if there are any new features that may be useful.

I've never been big on VirtualMachines, because they don't give you a true idea of how the OS works the same way a full installation does. So, after the first few years of screwing with my OS on a weekly basis, I decided to make a partition on my HD that was open for installing new OS's. Nothing huge, just a 32gig area for things like that. And, of course, I have my main drive backed up, just in case one of the distributions I feel like playing with, screws up my boot-loader... it happens.

Fedora is a fantastic operating system, and I have played with it time and time again. It is probably my favorite RPM distribution. Things are done a bit differently with Fedora than they are in Ubuntu. This article has one of the best explanations: https://www.diffen.com/difference/Fedora_vs_Ubuntu

Ultimately, no matter how many OS's I end up playing with, I keep coming back to Kubuntu. I just prefer the way Ubuntu does things. PPA's are great, and they have a fantastic Software Store / Repo. Which is why it has been my main distribution for many years.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

i just wish there would be longer support period in Kubuntu 5 years at least but would like to see 7 or even 10. once all is setup i really hate to do the upgrade, especially since upgrades are not working well too often and since new OS versions could mean loss of existing hardware support overnight.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast