Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to grow up! Where do I start learning about comand prompt?

Beans

Question I want to grow up! Where do I start learning about comand prompt?

Dearest community. Ubuntu was there for me through a very tough time in my life. It gave me a suite of applications that are very dependable that I could afford and gave me some freedom of technology. For that I want to learn as much as possible about Linux and Ubuntu so that some day I can program and code and give my ideas back in the spirit of open source. Where do I start on the road going from GUI dependency to the next level?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: I want to grow up! Where do I start learning about comand prompt?

By my reading of your opening post here, linuxcommand.org would be a good start point for learning the shell and for writing shell scripts. (link provided in the blue text)

Regards, yeti.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

In addition to those links, a good reference tool that is pretty much indispensable is a book called "Ubuntu Linux Toolbox", which contains over 1000 terminal commands. Although memorising a bunch of commands is not a good way to learn it, this book is a reference that I find myself unable to live without.
    Jeff (wheatpenny)

​This post composed of 100% recycled electrons

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

By the way, if you want to learn coding, Linux is by far the best development platform, and so say a number of coders. There is software coded in Linux, then ported to Mac and/or Windows. Also, just about every language is available, and, of course, free.

The most popular language for beginners is Python (named after Monty Python), and is totally supported, as are other languages (Java, C, C++, and others).

Good luck! You cannot find a better OS than Linux.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

If you're wanting to learn more than just the basic commands, it's probably a good idea to have a system that you can afford to trash and reinstall. This could be another physical computer, or it could be a virtual machine on your current PC. That way, you don't have to worry about obliterating the family photos or vitally important documents if something goes wrong. (And it probably will at some point, if my experience is anything to go by.)
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Ubuntu membership via Forums contributions

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

virtual machine has an added benefit that you can create a snapshot of it. once you destroy it you can just click to restore the snapshot and you are back where you started in couple of seconds.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup (suitable for older PCs): Redobackup Less friendly disk backup (works on new PC): Clonezilla

Beans

I learned a decent bit of bash (no expert) by just coming up with things I wanted to do, and googling my way to success. I've accomplished a great deal with that method, and for me it has worked out better than reading a book or something. Solve problems you have with a script, research how and write it. Test it, fix it, test it again. You've just learned how to do something new. Don't be afraid to ask questions on the forums, although make sure to do your own research and attempts before doing so. People won't write scripts for you, but they will readily help with examples of how to do something, else ideas on how to approach it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

All of us were N00BS when we started, and the community helped every one of us.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I'd start with the simplest utilities like cp, rm, mkdir, cd, to copy and delete files, and make and navigate into directories. Then I'd read up on permissions and learn about chown, chgrp, and chmod.

There's a helpful utility called "man," short for "manual." Every command has a manual page which can be displayed from the command prompt with "man commandname". Here, for instance, is the man page for chown. Man pages can often have a lot more detail than you need at first and be somewhat daunting as a result. Just focus on what you need when you need it.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast