Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cannot copy files to removable drive

Beans

Re: Cannot copy files to removable drive

Holy cow the partitioning worked and then I used the sudo chown command so I can write to it. Now I see a "lost+found" folder which I don't know what it is and can't delete but I don't care at this point.

The only thing I don't understand is what I need to do with fstab. I'm totally lost. In Terminal, I typed sudoedit /etc/fstab. I just don't understand what I'm supposed do at this point. I labeled my device: 300GBDrive
    Last edited by G0at1; 4 Days Ago at 05:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If the device isn't always connected, I wouldn't use the fstab method. Reasons given above.

The lost+found/ directory is part of most file systems. That is where corrupted files that lose their parents (like the directory they are in) are put. The fsck command does this.

Since you've converted to ext4, I think the performance issues caused by using a GUI tool don't happen, so you can use the file manager you like to mount and umount (<-- that is the correct command) the storage. Probably sufficient for your needs today. Yes?
    Last edited by TheFu; 3 Days Ago at 10:05 PM. Reason: clarified + spelling fixed.

Beans

No, it's not always connected; just when I want to back up some documents and music. YES! I'm totally set. Thank you both very much for helping me out!

Beans

Can I ask one more question? I formatted another external drive and did everything as the above. This one doesn't automatically show up on my desktop when I plug it in. I have to go to Other Locations to open it. Once I do that, it shows up on the desktop. Also, the previous external drive has a USB logo on it on the desktop. This drive has no logo. Also, the previous drive says "safely remove drive" and this second one says "unmount" before I want to unplug.
    Last edited by G0at1; 2 Days Ago at 11:36 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    If the device isn't always connected, I wouldn't use the fstab method. Reasons given above.

The lost+found/ directory is part of most file systems. That is where corrupted files that lose their parents (like the directory they are in) are put. The fsck command does this.

Since you've converted to ext4, I think the performance issues caused by using a GUI tool don't happen, so you can use the file manager you like to mount and umount (<-- that is the correct command) the storage. Probably sufficient for your needs today. Yes?
    I tried to send you a PM about my question above but left it in the Conversation section. Sorry about that! Everything resolved.
    Last edited by G0at1; 1 Day Ago at 06:25 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12