Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot copy files to removable drive

Beans

Cannot copy files to removable drive

Hi, I've attached a removable drive to my PC. I can access files on it and copy/paste them to my Ubuntu drive; however, I cannot copy files from my Ubuntu drive to the removable drive. I can't create new folders/files on this drive either. Anyone know what's going on? Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Cannot copy files to removable drive

Attach the external drive, disconnect any other external storage media that may be attached, then open the file browser and navigate to:

Other locations > computer > media > <your username>.

You should see a folder in that location that represents the external drive. If you click on it you should be able to see the contents of the external drive. The folder will be named with the label of the external's file system, or if the external drive does not have a file system label, it will have a unique device identifier that will look something like "d858727c-59fd-49a0-9d7e". This folder is called a mount point. Think of it as the gateway between the folders and files on your external drive and the file system on the computer itself.

Right click on the folder, click on "properties" then click on the "permissions" tab.

That will show you the owner of the mount point and the permissions granted for using what it contains (in this case your external drive). If the owner is anyone other than "me" or <your username>, chances are your user does not have permission to write to the drive, only permission to read and access it. That explains why you can read and copy files from the external, but can't create folders or save files on it.

There are a couple of ways to fix this, but the easiest in my mind is to open a terminal window and execute the command (very carefully, mind):

Code:
    sudo chown <your username>:<your username> /media/<your username>/<device identifier>
    The device identifier will either be the file system label from the external or the system determined unique device identifier. Note the colon ( : ) between the two instances of <your username> and there are no spaces around the colon. You will be prompted to enter your user's password, then prompted to enter your user password again. Example:

Code:
    sudo chown ron:ron /media/ron/safety
    where the username is "ron" and the external drive has the file system label "safety".

You should now be able to read and write to the external drive.
    Last edited by rbmorse; 4 Days Ago at 10:58 PM.
    regards

Beans

Thank you for responding. When I go to: Other locations > computer > media > <your username>, I see "New Volume" which is the external drive. Under permissions, I see: Owner: Me. Access: Create/delete files. Group: My name. Access: Create/delete files. Others: blank. Access: Create/delete files. Security context: unknown.

What should I do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

rbmorse is correct, if the partition mounted is using a Linux file system. Great explanation.

Most external disks come with either NTFS or FAT32 or exFAT file systems. These do not support permission changes after mount, so chown and chmod don't work. For these other file systems, either the mount needs to happen using the very slow gvfs FUSE mount technique - most GUI file managers will do this or if the fstab/autofs are used, then at mount time the userid and group must be used so your specific userid can have write access. If this will be a permanently connected storage device, then using the fstab method, with the correct mount options, can be much, much, faster.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mo...dowsPartitions explains how to update the /etc/fstab for this better performance. To safely edit the fstab file, use the sudoedit /etc/fstab command. sudoedit is much safer than using other options like gksudo or pkexec or any sudo incarnation you may see all over the internet.

I use autofs for USB storage mounts. You might not want to, since it is a little more complex. My options are:
    Code:
    250G -nodev,nosuid,noatime,async,big_writes,timeout=2,fstype=ntfs,uid=1000,gid=1000 LABEL=250G
    The equiv fstab line would be something like:
    Code:
    LABEL=250G    /Data ntfs nodev,nosuid,noatime,async,big_writes,timeout=2,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0
    Notice that I mount using the LABEL, not device or UUID. I find this easier to handle for USB storage. The uid/gid are specific to my userid - the id command will show values you can use. If you need to allow multiple users to have concurrent access, then the userids will need to be in a shared unix group. The "big_writes" helps greatly with NTFS performance. The /Data directory must pre-exist before mounting. Any empty directory will work.

Once the fstab is setup, just run sudo mount -a to mount it immediately. It will be mounted automatically at boot from now on.

Clear as mud?

Beans

I will only connect and turn on this external drive once a week or so (maybe less) to backup files as needed. I'm sure it's NTFS. As far as the rest of your response, I've read it a few times and I don't understand anything you said. I'm sorry, what do I have to do again?

And I don't understand why Linux makes it so hard for people to use it easily. Why can't I just be able to plug in my external hard drive and use it like I do with a USB stick?
    Last edited by G0at1; 3 Days Ago at 04:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by G0at1 View Post
    I will only connect and turn on this external drive once a week or so (maybe less) to backup files as needed. I'm sure it's NTFS. As far as the rest of your response, I've read it a few times and I don't understand anything you said. I'm sorry, what do I have to do again?
    If this drive is a backup for Linux, then you should refomat it to use a Linux native file system like ext4. Many backup tools don't work correctly when using NTFS with Unix files. In Unix, the owner, group and permissions for files are at least 50% of the backup data needed.

If it is only connected once a week, then I wouldn't modify the fstab. I'd use the autofs method, though I suspect this is beyond you current skill.

Exactly how are you backing up the data? Aptik? Duplicity, Duplicati, something else? I use a tool called rdiff-backup. It is extremely efficient and having 60+ days of backups only takes about 10-20% more storage than the original files. I do automatic, daily, backups. These take 1-4 minutes for most systems.

From last night:
    Code:
    === Time for Backups to spam2 === 
    StartTime 1547277065.00 (Sat Jan 12 02:11:05 2019)
    EndTime 1547277075.29 (Sat Jan 12 02:11:15 2019)
    ElapsedTime 10.29 (10.29 seconds)
    TotalDestinationSizeChange 1081 (1.06 KB)

=== Time for Backups to lubuntu === 
    StartTime 1547273707.00 (Sat Jan 12 01:15:07 2019)
    EndTime 1547274150.82 (Sat Jan 12 01:22:30 2019)
    ElapsedTime 443.82 (7 minutes 23.82 seconds)
    TotalDestinationSizeChange 28712008 (27.4 MB)

=== Time for Backups to hadar === 
    StartTime 1547274905.00 (Sat Jan 12 01:35:05 2019)
    EndTime 1547274930.69 (Sat Jan 12 01:35:30 2019)
    ElapsedTime 25.69 (25.69 seconds)
    TotalDestinationSizeChange -90288 (-88.2 KB)

=== Time for Backups to nextcloud === 
    StartTime 1547279409.00 (Sat Jan 12 02:50:09 2019)
    EndTime 1547279539.40 (Sat Jan 12 02:52:19 2019)
    ElapsedTime 130.40 (2 minutes 10.40 seconds)
    TotalDestinationSizeChange 7314615 (6.98 MB)

=== Time for Backups to cb35 === 
    StartTime 1547269387.00 (Sat Jan 12 00:03:07 2019)
    EndTime 1547270145.97 (Sat Jan 12 00:15:45 2019)
    ElapsedTime 758.97 (12 minutes 38.97 seconds)
    TotalDestinationSizeChange 98967478 (94.4 MB)
    You get the idea.

Beans

By "back up" I literally mean copy/pasting files from my main hard drive to the external one. I don't use any utilities yet. I just got on Ubuntu and don't know my way around. I think you're right though. It looks like I have to copy all my files from the NTFS drive to Ubuntu > format it to ext4 > put the files back > save my sanity. Assuming, I copy everything to Ubuntu, how do I format the drive if it's not letting me even write to it? I right-clicked on it and don't see a "format" option. I just see Open, Open in new tab, Open in new window, Unmount.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Was the external drive connected to a Windows host that was "hibernating" when it was disconnected?

If that happens, a Linux host would mount the external as a "read only" device.
    regards

Beans

No, it was not and I normally always "eject" my drives in Windows before unplugging even though it's not really required.

Beans
    Distro

It cannot be mounted for this work.

To format as ext4, there are many ways. I'd use sudo -H gparted (this is the 1-time running a GUI with sudo is fine). Then I'd delete everything, create a new GPT partition table and then create an EXT4 partition, setting the LABEL to what you want to use at mount time in the fstab or via autofs. The -H is absolutely critical. ABSOLUTELY.

If you want to go old, old, old, school, you can use fdisk to wipe the disk, create the GPT partition table, and partition. Then exit that and run sudo mkfs -t ext4 /dev/disk/...... whatever the device is. Don't make up a device. If you get the wrong one, you will be wiping all the existing data. Not what anyone wants. Unix does what we tell it, not what we actually mean.

Knowing how to do it via a GUI is only useful on desktops. On servers, there isn't a GUI, so no gparted program.

I would stay away from any other tools. Some cause problems that are easily avoided by not using them.

I keep mentioning autofs. Why? The autofs manpage explains:
    Code:
    DESCRIPTION
           autofs  controls the operation of the automount(8) daemon(s) running on
           the Linux system. Usually autofs is invoked at system  boot  time  with
           the  start parameter and at shutdown time with the stop parameter. Ser‐
           vice control actions can also be manually invoked by the system  admin‐
           istrator to shut down, restart, reload or obtain service status.
    In short, it can be configured to mount storage on-demand, as needed. If storage isn't used for a period of time, it is removed from the mount table (umounted) automatically. This frees up resources. Also, autofs provides access to kernel-level mounts which are much, much, faster than FUSE mounts.

NEVER just pull storage out from a Unix system. Always umount them or use the eject button in the GUI. It is common for Unix to buffer data for long periods before writing to physical media.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast