Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double VLC?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Double VLC?

Hello,

I have VLC on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS which I recently upgraded from 14.04 LTS. I’ve noticed there are two versions of VLC in Ubuntu Software.

vlc1.jpg

This one (above) 2.2.2-5ubuntu0.16.04.4 and 3.0.6 (below).

vlcinstalled.jpg

I have 3.0.6. installed. I’m just curios as to why there are two different versions in the repo. I'm guessing 3.0.6 is the most recent?

My copy runs fine although occasionally the ‘traffic cone’ icon disappears from the launcher for no reason.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Double VLC?

2.2.2-5 is the version that's in the 16.04 repository. I'd imagine the other one is a snap package. Snaps have some limitations.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    2.2.2-5 is the version that's in the 16.04 repository. I'd imagine the other one is a snap package. Snaps have some limitations.
    Thanks for the reply. Which would be the best for 16.04 LTS?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Daveski17 View Post
    Whichever you like. They're both supported. The limitations of snaps are things like where they can read or write to, stuff like that. To (potentially) make them more portable.

I've not used Unity or snaps, so I don't know which might be causing your vanishing icon.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    Whichever you like. They're both supported. The limitations of snaps are things like where they can read or write to, stuff like that. To (potentially) make them more portable.

I've not used Unity or snaps, so I don't know which might be causing your vanishing icon.
    OK thanks.

Beans

VLC before version 3.0 does not work for 360 degree videos, so the old version does have some limitations. I compile vlc from source so my version is up to date also doesn't have the limitations and bugs of snap. it gives me the best of all worlds. You can try this ppa which provides vlc3.0.6 for ubuntu 16.04 if you don't want to compile from source.
    Add the ppa to your source
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jonathonf/vlc-3
    then
    Code:
    sudo apt update 
    sudo apt upgrade
    Now you can remove the snap version
    Code:
    sudo snap remove vlc
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; 5 Days Ago at 10:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    VLC before version 3.0 does not work for 360 degree videos, so the old version does have some limitations. I compile vlc from source so my version is up to date also doesn't have the limitations and bugs of snap. it gives me the best of all worlds. You can try this ppa which provides vlc3.0.6 for ubuntu 16.04 if you don't want to compile from source.
    Add the ppa to your source
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jonathonf/vlc-3
    then
    Code:
    sudo apt update 
    sudo apt upgrade
    Now you can remove the snap version
    Code:
    sudo snap remove vlc
    Thanks for the information and the link.

vetinari.jpg

I have 3.0.6.

Beans

Thanks for the information and the link.

vetinari.jpg

I have 3.0.6.
    I know, but your 3.0.6 is a snap, that is the whole pt about this thread, isn't it?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    I know, but your 3.0.6 is a snap, that is the whole pt about this thread, isn't it?
    I'm new to 16.04 so the snap version was a bit puzzling. I couldn't understand why two versions in the repo. I only use it to watch DVD's so the icon occasionally disappearing isn't a biggie for me. My default player is SMPlayer. Thanks for the help anyway.

Beans

I'm new to 16.04 so the snap version was a bit puzzling. I couldn't understand why two versions in the repo. I only use it to watch DVD's so the icon occasionally disappearing isn't a biggie for me. My default player is SMPlayer. Thanks for the help anyway.
    As said deb and snap are different ways to package and distribute software. deb is the standard way with shared libs and what not. snap is a beta technology, it is a container with bundled dependencies. Deb packages integrate well with the system but as you may notice the .deb packages provided by the repo are usually old. snap on the other hand is supposed to allow easy updates but right now IMO (as well as other reports on the forum) the technology still has glitches and is not mature. ppa is a way to install .deb packages and get updates (as long as the ppa is maintained) through third party repos. There are some here who don't like it, but IMO the risk is exaggerated, as long as you use well known ppas there is rarely any problem in my experience.

If you install software from the Software Centre then you may get a snap or a deb. If both snap and deb versions are available for a software then the Software Centre would give you the snap. On the other hand if you install packages with the terminal (apt) or with the synaptic package manager then you always get the .deb version. Synaptic is a gui package manager with many features (much more flexible than the Software Centre). It is not installed by default, but can be easily installed with the software centre or sudo apt install synaptic. So Software Centre doesn't use the standard repos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast