Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selectable list of Ubuntu flavors

Beans

Selectable list of Ubuntu flavors

I am going crazy.

I *swear* I installed Ubuntu a while ago on my laptop, and at the end of the install, I was given choices of what to install. There was a text (not gui ) list of Ubuntu flavors (Lubuntu, Ubuntu desktop, samba, xubuntu, etc) to choose from at the end.

Now, I’m sitting in front of my desktop trying to do the same thing. I have install CDs that are Live Desktop, Live Server, and network install. I can’t get that list to appear anywhere, and I’ve Ben through the installations of all three.

What am I missing? Does the list only appear on laptops, or certain configurations? Srsly, this is giving me a migraine from the frustration.

Beans

Re: Selectable list of Ubuntu flavors

Probably it was called a mini.iso.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You're probably thinking of the old alternative installer, which I have no idea where that is anymore.
    You can look at mini.iso from here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Just wondering if you got the ubuntu iso with multi desktops on it, it was/maybe is available, but you had to do a google search to find it. It gave you the option of choosing which desktop you wanted to play with when you log on.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by crip720 View Post
    Just wondering if you got the ubuntu iso with multi desktops on it, it was/maybe is available, but you had to do a google search to find it. It gave you the option of choosing which desktop you wanted to play with when you log on.
    I do not remember there ever being an official install image with that option available from Canonical/Ubuntu itself, though a few years ago one of the Linux magazines here in UK, "Linux Format" did have such an iso image every time a new version was released.

I think it was possible not only to use a session of your choice of DE when you started but also to install that version, though it is now years ago and my memory may be playing tricks on me.

There were also several other distros that did offer this option (I'm now going back probably 10 or more years) and I think Fedora Core 2, for example gave you that choice; you could even install several DEs simultaneously in the one OS if you wanted to.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

It was not an official Ubuntu iso, but it did install multi separate(not different DEs installed on OS) DEs that you could change during log in. Think it was before unity or around 12.04. Thinking back maybe it came with combined separate OSs in one install instead of just the DEs. I know you just had to log out and in again to change, did not have to go though grub
    Last edited by crip720; 1 Week Ago at 02:06 AM. Reason: more info, better thinking

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If grub was not required it was likely a Ubuntu ISO with multiple DE's preinstalled . Multiple DE's can be installed, but there is often duplicate applications including different file mangers. See the flavours link in my signature and you look at all the available DE's.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Was checking google again and found it. It was called Ubuntu AIO, then after Linux AIO.

Beans

Net install has this option. I have my pxe server set to distribute it on my lan for installations. Have both 18.04 and 16.04 available.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by crip720 View Post
    Was checking google again and found it. It was called Ubuntu AIO, then after Linux AIO.
    I found it

We bring you some of the major Linux distributions (Ubuntu and flavors, Linux Mint, LMDE, Debian Live, Fedora) with different desktop environments on one ISO file that can be burnt on one DVD / DVD DL or USB 4GB+/8GB+ flash drive. Every one of them can be used as Live system, with no need of installation on hard drive, or can be eventually installed on computer for full system experience.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast