Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remote Server Accessability Issue

Beans

Re: Networking dummy needs help

If that's the case then I'm sorry.
    If that's the case then I'm sorry.
    No worries. This is easy to fix as I can just recopy my Dev vm files back over to the other machine and try, try again. Which I will do and try the bridge interface on eth1 ( which I suspect is the same as second network adapter ).

Beans

So I have the appliance back up to the way it was. Eth0 is on the dev/vmnet1. Now that I have my network adapter 2, which I presume is the DataPower appliance's eth1, what is the IP of that interface?

Beans

If your VM has a VMware Tools then you can see the IP address from the vmware console.

Otherwise, you'll have to figure it out from inside the VM. Since I don't have any idea what operating system your VM is based on I can't help with that.

If it's Linux, and if you can get a command line, then you could use one of:
    • ip address list
    • ifconfig

Beans

With DataPower, I don't (or have never seen) it automatic, and those commands are not available in the DataPower CLI. I don't have a clue where to go in VMWare to see the IP. If I click on the network adapter icon for Network Adapter 2, I can go to settings and look around there, but even under Advanced there is no IP being displayed. So I tried the same on the Network Adapter on the dev/vmnet1, where I know an IP exists because I'm able to connect to the appliance's web management on that IP, but VMWare doesn't show me the IP anywhere.

There is a link under the Virtual Machine menu in VMWare "Reinstall VMware Tools..", but it is grayed out.

Beans

In the panel where all the VMs on a certain host are displayed, and whether they're running or not, you will see an IP address for fully running systems which communicate that back to the host.

I don't even know what operating system this VM is based on. If it's Windows-based then your command would be ipconfig /all

Beans

DataPower OS (DPOS) is very very loosely based on Linux, but the only command similar to traditional Linux systems is traceroute. Just about everything else is proprietary to the shell and there is no way to change that. The one thing I can get doesn't show an IP on any other interface than the one (eth0) on the dev/vmnet1 device. But, strangely, there seems to be a large number of bytes on the receiving end of eth1.

As far as eth0 on the dev/vmnet1 device goes, even though the host (ifconfig) shows the host IP as 192.168.221.1, I still had to configure the eth0 interface primary IP as 192.168.221.2 with a default gateway of 192.168.221.1 for anything to actually work.

So, does that also go for the bridged adapter on eth1 (network adapter 2)? That is, if ifconfig shows my host as 192.168.1.86/24 (broadcast on 192.168.1.255), can I use an IP ending with any other number from 2 to 254?

I suspect the VMWare Workstation 14 Player does not have what you're talking about. I went through every menu option, every screen, every setting and popup I can find while running and not running, and I don't see IP reported by VMWare anywhere.

Beans

Oh yay! You solved it! I should have just tried my guess before responding. So I found I was able to ping to the host's main IP of 192.168.1.86, and then put the eth1 on 192.168.1.87 with .86 as my default gateway.. and BOOM! It works!

Thanks a million. I still don't completely understand what I've done here, but it lets me do what I need to do!

Beans

To avoid confusion, your 192.168.1 address is almost certainly your real network used by your house or office or whatever.

That network (192.168.1) is managed by a dhcp server, which will either be a separate system (if you're in a bigger office) or by your wireless router, if you're working from home or a small office.

You should go look at the settings for that and figure out your DHCP address pool. If you randomly choose an IP in the subnet, or worse, pick your known IP + 1 as you did, then there is a really good chance that the dhcp server will assign your .87 address to the next system that wants an address. At that point you'll have an address conflict and one or both systems will not work correctly.

FWIW your VMware settings for the guest should let you choose which network to connect the virtual NIC to. That network will be either a real network or a virtual one. That's a generic virtualization thing, not a VMware thing.

Beans

To avoid confusion
    Like I'm not confused already! LOL.
    our 192.168.1 address is almost certainly your real network used by your house or office or whatever.
    Everything I have (home) is 192.168.1.xxx (except these VM's... which clearly do something different).
    You should go look at the settings for that and figure out your DHCP address pool
    That I *can* do and in spite of my general ignorance, I can reserve IPs for certain systems. Hopefully it will allow me to reserve that one.
    the dhcp server will assign your .87 address to the next system that wants an address
    Will it do that while the VM is running? That is, if something is already listening on .87 on the network, will the DHCP just arbitrarily assign that IP?
    your VMware settings for the guest should let you choose which network to connect the virtual NIC to
    I have no doubt, but I certainly cannot figure out how to do it.

Either way... this is enough to get me going. If I run into address conflicts, at least I'll have a good idea on what is causing it. This is a pretty short term proof of concept test, so once I work out any kinks in it, it will go away as quickly as it came.

Can't thank you enough.

Beans

OK. Best practice would state that you put your static addresses outside of the DHCP pool. Most SOHO routers (small office/home office) will let you reserve whatever IP was allocated for that system, which drives me and probably every other IT professional crazy.

Your DHCP server will renew the .87 address as long as you're using DHCP to get that address and the system leasing it is running. From what you said though, you configured a static IP address which you decided on by adding 1 to your workstation's address So .87 was not allocated by DHCP and your DHCP server does not know that someone is using it. So likely the very next device which tries for a DHCP address will get .87, and you'll have a conflict.

In other words, it could very likely allocate .87 to another computer while the VM is running. There SHOULD be code in the dhcp project to check for somebody using that address, but in my experience it's not always reliable.

Most SOHO routers have a default DHCP pool either right close to the low end of the block (.2, .3 or .10, .11 etc) or at the high end. You need to choose something for your static server addresses which is not part of the pool range. I already said this so I guess I need to shut up now.

Good luck and have fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12