Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyonre still running Trusty Tahr 14.04?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Anyonre still running Trusty Tahr 14.04?

Just wondering if anyone is. If so, why?
    B]"There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"[/B]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Anyonre still running Trusty Tahr 14.04?

My mothers system is, time for me to upgrade her soon

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by sports fan Matt View Post
    Just wondering if anyone is. If so, why?
    i am still running it on laptop and server. i am about to upgrade. but the desktop upgrade was a mess and laptop has dual boot on it, so it makes me very nervous.i planned to move to 16.04 only, however Kubuntu no longer has 5 year support , so i need to move to 18.04.

as to why i was using it - it was setup the way i wanted it. everything was stable, everything worked as it should. at the same time security patches took care of it's safety. why would i change something that works the way i wanted it to work?
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup (suitable for older PCs): Redobackup Less friendly disk backup (works on new PC): Clonezilla

Beans

When I first did my server it was running 14.04. Had a big crash and I went with Xenial and it's been that way since. I do know that had I still been running 14.04, I would be upgrading it now. I run them till a couple months before they lose support, and never past EOL. That time is approaching quickly for Trusty. April is just around the corner. I know that had I not had that crash and I was still running Trusty, I would probably have skipped Xenial altogether and gone straight to Bionic with a fresh install. In my current situation I most likely won't upgrade till 20.04 is released, maybe even until Jan-March of 2021. Xenial will drop support in April of 2021 so that is my target, and I will likely skip 18.04 and go straight to 20.04 with a fresh install.
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; 1 Week Ago at 05:26 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yes, alongside Ubuntu Xenial 16.04 and Ubuntu-Mate Bionic 18.04 in a multi-boot set up. I am actually posting this reply off trusty; I would probably boot into trusty about 75% of the time.

As for why, well I used a minimal installer and built it up to a highly customized install to have it work how I like to use it. It works so well that I tend to use it the most. My other newer release installs are pretty standard installations and are good but not as comfortable to use as my custom, multi desktop environment, trusty install. It has worked very smoothly and stayed very stable for about 3 years now despite being such a custom system, will be a bit sad to have to finally retire this set up soon. It certainly has served my purposes very well.

When it loses support in April I'll end up tarballing the root and home partitions so as not to lose any data etc and rebuild another custom multi DE installation from a minimal installer with a newer ubuntu release. Hopefully I'll be able to get a similar outcome as I got with this trusty install with either xenial or bionic.

Cheers, yeti.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

In a server environment there is of course little or no reason to update unless the software used becomes obsolescent like a virtualbox from 2014 but then why use that on a server? Mostly a PC lasts longer than these 4 years so there must be a lot of people using 14.04 as a back end and it just works but I really don't know why people wouldn't use more recent software for a desktop. Of course, some differences are hardly noticeable...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jdeca57 View Post
    ... but I really don't know why people wouldn't use more recent software for a desktop.
    1. i think they would if upgrades were smooth/seamless

2. there is the issue of drivers. for example with 14.04 a number of AMD cards lost fglrx and went to opensource, which wasn't nearly as good in 16.04 as the fglrx was. i am not sure it is is as good now. then there are other drivers. for example my printer drivers went to HP form Samsung (as i understand it). the samsung drivers were a bit different and seems like they offered more choices when printing. though both seem to work the new drivers are not as refined. i am not sure if i could install the old driver or would i hit the package compatibility hell. desktops have a lot more input/output hardware attached than the usual servers (you have monitors, sound chips, cameras, keyboard&mouse, external devices like smartphones...). it all has to work flawlesly and just because it works in 14.04 for example it doesn't mean it will also work in 18.04.
    User friendly disk backup (suitable for older PCs): Redobackup Less friendly disk backup (works on new PC): Clonezilla

Beans

In a server environment there is of course little or no reason to update unless the software used becomes obsolescent like a virtualbox from 2014 but then why use that on a server?

Security updates is a reason. Nearly every time someone is hacked it isn't due to any particular good hacker. It is someone exploiting a vulnerability that has been around awhile, patched and such. But people don't update their systems so they never see these updates. Machines should NEVER be out of support and security patching. Doing that is just asking for problems and bad practice in general. An operating system is not a one and done thing, unless maybe if it is read only I guess. It requires maintenance and updates / repairs just like anything else.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

they likley meant upgrade, not update. updates (particularly security patches) are important and should be set on automatic on server.

Beans

Apparently just found I'm running 14.04 via Gmac Linux 10 for the last two days. Other than bluetooth not working which for me is every Linux distro it has been great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast