Thread: Just to ask if this is valid? Longish post sorry.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Just to ask if this is valid? Longish post sorry.

I have a very simple and small server that is hosting a trial setup in GPS tracking, it is not commercial but I have ports open to the outside world for it to work, I am unsure how to monitor activity on the ports needed for the GPS devices to see if the open ports are being spammed by any bots. So I look to apache logs and ssh logs for guidance, for example I leave the ssh port open to the outside work for a set period of time, a bit like a 'honey pot'

Look at the logs and then add IP rules with ufw.

I see these messages in the apache2 access.log where bots rea trying to attach mysql etc

I open the ssh port for a set period a bit like a honey pot to see what is IP is attaching and I tend to close off whole swathes of addresses where I see several say in the 118 range or 221 range. i do check the would not effect my server but as it is a test server and used only for family within the UK I do not see an issue.

I use a command line to give me a simple report such as :
    Code:
    cat /var/log/apache2/access.log | grep '09/Jan' | grep -E -o "([0-9]{1,3}[\.]){3}[0-9]{1,3}" | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr
    for the apache log and
    Code:
    cat /var/log/auth.log | grep 'Jan  9' | grep -E -o "([0-9]{1,3}[\.]){3}[0-9]{1,3}" | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr
    for ssh.

Now to my question, it seems to my mind it is faster to have the ufw rules ordered by magnitude, but I am unsure if this is OK or just to have the rules in any order as may be presented first come first banned by a program.

So I have set my rules simply structured as below.

[ 1] Anywhere DENY IN 60.0.0.0/6
    [ 2] Anywhere DENY IN 218.0.0.0/7
    [ 3] Anywhere DENY IN 222.0.0.0/7
    [ 4] Anywhere DENY IN 85.0.0.0/8
    [ 5] Anywhere DENY IN 87.0.0.0/8
    [ 6] Anywhere DENY IN 88.0.0.0/8
    [ 7] Anywhere DENY IN 91.0.0.0/8
    [ 8] Anywhere DENY IN 217.0.0.0/8
    [ 9] Anywhere DENY IN 45.119.0.0/16
    [10] Anywhere DENY IN 58.242.0.0/16
    [11] Anywhere DENY IN 114.224.0.0/16
    [12] Anywhere DENY IN 117.156.0.0/16
    [13] Anywhere DENY IN 125.72.0.0/16
    [14] Anywhere DENY IN 129.28.0.0/16
    [15] Anywhere DENY IN 134.175.0.0/16
    [16] Anywhere DENY IN 103.89.88.0/22
    [17] Anywhere DENY IN 41.234.140.0/24
    [18] Anywhere DENY IN 119.4.250.0/24
    [19] Anywhere DENY IN 121.235.201.0/24
    [20] Anywhere DENY IN 155.4.69.0/24
    [21] Anywhere DENY IN 185.143.223.0/24
    [22] Anywhere DENY IN 196.52.43.0/24

Am I correct in my thinking, or is this a waste of time and it makes no difference to the computer. All i know is one attach on 22 took the processor up to 28% from idle so my brain thinks keep it structured to drop the ranges first?

Adrian

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Just to ask if this is valid? Longish post sorry.

If you know where legitimate traffic originates, it's a lot easier to permit those sources and deny everything else. For instance, my public servers only accept SSH connections from networks I control.
    Code:
    /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -s 10.10.10.0/24 -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
    /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -j REJECT
    That allows SSH traffic from 10.10.10.0/24 and denies all other connections.,

Doing it the other way around is a lot more work.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

@SeijiSensi

Yes I can understand what you are saying.

Some times however, when using a mobile connection as yet I have to learn where my own connection could be as there are several networks and ranges they use.

But two questions, the gps ports I use somewhere in the 5xxx range, the app logs are only showing INFO status i.e. what is working OK I can not see if the ports are being spammed, so is checking other logs valid and is a structured approach as I am trying to keep better than listing IP's in a first come banned list, does it save on cpu cycles having them structured.?

Adrian
    Last edited by adrian-h; 1 Week Ago at 09:13 PM. Reason: still crap grammer!

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    /sbin/iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 5xxx -j LOG
    will write a record to /var/log/kern.log for every packet that arrives on port 5xxx. If you're running a UDP service, replace "tcp" with "udp".
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Beans
    Distro

@SeijiSensei

Sorry I did not see your reply I am not getting any messages to say anyone has replied, even though set as email.
    I will have a go thank, you for your response.

Cheers

Adrian.

p.s.

Just wondering, as I am learning all this and basically I have been using UFW to set rules and these included a few fules such as:
    sudo ufw allow 5xxx

I will see if I can also include logging to that.

I had a look at iptables -L and the output put me off a bit, it needs a lot of understanding on my part.

I will read more community docs, see if I can follow it better, then give it a go when I am not tired.
    Last edited by adrian-h; 1 Week Ago at 02:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro

The rule I wrote will be placed above all the other rules in the INPUT chain because I used the "-I" parameter.

So you can run your usual UFW rules, then add the rule I specified from the command prompt. You'll need to preface the command with sudo since you need root privileges to modify the firewall rules.

Rather than relying on email notices, you could just revisit this URL a few times a day.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you , I could not find a line to use in ufw apart from a general one to set logging level.

My router is dealing with port scans generally so they are not filtering down to my home server, but quick question I can add this rule and give it a try for a while and see what the port is putting up with, would I delete it by using sudo nano type messages and I am assume it would be in any before rules, think I have the correct, or would there be another command line to remove it?

to install

cd/sbin
    sudo iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 5xxx -j LOG

To remove
    cd/sbin

sudo iptables -D INPUT -p tcp --dport 5xxx -j LOG

Sorry I am being cautious as I just managed to screw one backup server up, it's how I learn

And I did get an email for your response this time, who would have guessed it!

I appreciate your time to answer. I am also having fun reporting and blocking web app attacks from IP's

Adrian
    Last edited by adrian-h; 6 Days Ago at 09:27 AM. Reason: correcting my crap english, best I can.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, you would use -D to remove the rule.

You don't need to be in the /sbin directory. It's in the standard PATH:

Code:
    $ echo $PATH
    /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin
    so you can just type "sudo iptables ..." from anywhere in the filesystem.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you very much.

Adrian