Thread: Nautilus AFP access stopped working

Beans

Nautilus AFP access stopped working

I have regularly used Nautilus/AFP on my home office computer (running 18.04) to access a WD MyCloud until recently. Now, Nautilus still connects to the NAS - I can see the files but cannot access them - can't start a video or play an mp3 - the player (smplayer) just hangs. Strangely, my other machine (in another part of the house but also running Ubuntu 18.04) works just as well as it always has. Obviously something has happened to the office machine but I have no idea what it could have been.

Where should I start looking? All help and suggestions welcome...

Beans

Re: Nautilus AFP access stopped working

No takers on this one so far - perhaps not many users have noticed that when accessing a NAS through Nautilus the default access method in 18.04 is AFP. I was surprised by it as well (I have always been a Samba fan).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Did not know what AFP was, so I had to search for it. Found this, https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2368070
    Maybe it will help.
    Cheers,
    I am not an expert on anything, but I pretend to be one at times.
    Software expands to consume available system resources.

Beans

I did check avahi - it starts (as it should) at bootup. Thanks for responding.

Beans

In the process of trying to fix this I discovered some files in my Home Folder that were owned by Root. Evidently this was caused by some changes I made to system files by using sudo -H nautilus (as a substitute for the late gksudo). I chowned the files that I found back to $USER and have experienced no other weirdness except for the AFP problem.

I've searched for info about where AFP mounts the NAS but have so far come up empty.

Perhaps this new info will ring a bell for one of the smart Linux people out there to help me fix this small (but annoying) problem...
    Last edited by lou6; 1 Week Ago at 01:50 PM.

Beans

Well, this is definitely not solved but I will close it anyway - sorry I could not get help from those more knowledgeable.