Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: networking so slow lubuntu 16.04.5 LTS

Beans

Re: networking so slow lubuntu 16.04.5 LTS

i have tried 19.04 and have no luck.....the wireless is still poor. kernel version was 4.18

regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Frankly, and this is only my opinion and in no way is supported by the forum or Ubuntu themselves, the rt2800xx series chipsets and drivers have always been a bit twtchy.
    All I have left to suggest is a different device. Sorry.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

what about changing the wireless card? or using a USB wifi? seems like this laptop with RT5390R is the problem otherwise the laptop is fine

what do you think?

regards

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by carlsonv View Post
    what about changing the wireless card? or using a USB wifi? seems like this laptop with RT5390R is the problem otherwise the laptop is fine

what do you think?

regards
    Isn't that exactly what I suggested?
    All I have left to suggest is a different device. Sorry.
    If you don't have any whitelist issues, I'd replace the internal device with an Intel.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

ok, got er. i have plugged in a USB wifi it works!!!!! i was going to try replace the internal device but the cost was absolutely ridiculous and it would only accept specific wireless chips (it is whitelisted to only specific hardware). i bought this USB wifi for $29 instead of the $160 internal chip. i plugged it in and was able to connect with it and it works flawlessly.

do you know how i could disable the Ralink internal chip so my computer just uses the usb wifi? i can easily flip laptop over, remove batter and one screw and the chip pops right out if that is the best way but i wanted to know if there is a different method.

kind regards

Beans
    Distro

Removing the internal card is, of course, foolproof. You can also blacklist its driver.
    Code:
    sudo -i
    echo "blacklist rt2800pci"  >>  /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    modprobe -r rt2800pci
    exit
    I am surprised at the costs you quote. I replaced my whitelisted card for $20 from Ebay.

Do you have any details as to the allowed; i.e. whitelisted cards?

This suggests that the service manual, usually available online, will show the cards on the whitelist: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...d/td-p/5270474

Does your current card have one antenna wire or two? If only one, then you needn't look for an AC-capable card since it will require two.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/images...-laptop-06.jpg
    Last edited by chili555; 1 Week Ago at 05:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Lets try
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlo1 power off

Beans

yes i was surprised also by that cost! Considering i got a usb wifi for $30 and it works fine (better than the old chip for sure!!) i can't believe anyone would want to replace the internal one for that price ($160 is atrocious). yes i found a list of acceptable ones on an HP forum (there was 5-6 i think). i could see $160 for the chip with bluetooth and wifi radios on it but my chip had only one radio and one of the chips on the list was wifi radio only and still wanted $160! what i ended up doing is flipping the laptop over popped one screw out and the chip is right there, i removed it. booted up and the wifi usb is working perfectly

thank you kindly for all help, very much appreciated!

kind regards

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12