Thread: DPI and scaling (it's too small)

Beans

Question DPI and scaling (it's too small)

Under windows I had the option to increase the desktop scaling and make the desktop environment bigger. My eyesight isn't great right now and I am having to squint to use my laptop under ubuntu (studio/bionic 18.04 LTS).
    I found the following information https://askubuntu.com/questions/1978...the-screen-dpi
    Is this appropriate for 18.04?
    My dpi is currently reported at 96x96 (1080x1920). On windows I had the scaling set to between 150-200% how does this factor into the setting? I.e. is a 200% increase in size a 200% decrease in the dpi (halve=48x48)?
    Is messing with the dpi likely to break anything important?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Love and light
    -x-

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: DPI and scaling (it's too small)

Increasing the DPI setting is probably a good way to go. I just tried it here, and it adjusts on the fly, no need to log out/in again (this is on Xubuntu though, don't know how Ubuntu would react).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you hold the Control key down and use your mouse wheel at the same time, you can increase or decrease the magnification. Real easy.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

eyesight isn't great right now
    Yep, I know what you are talking about. I need to set the Zoom Factor to 150% and bring the monitor closer than I used to.

Pressing Ctrl+ keys repeatedly will increment the zoom level in steps from 100% - 110% - 125% - 150% - 175% - 200% while pressing Ctrl- will decrement the zoom level.
    Cheers,
    I am not an expert on anything, but I pretend to be one at times.
    Software expands to consume available system resources.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    If you hold the Control key down and use your mouse wheel at the same time, you can increase or decrease the magnification. Real easy.
    Great tip thanks very much, works in firefox window pane but not the toolbars/menu texts, or the desktop, terminal window. Still its a much faster shortcut than the one I was using. Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Have you considered lowering the resolution of your monitor? That will make everything larger. Settings -> Display. Pick the next smaller one and try it. If still too big, go down another.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    Have you considered lowering the resolution of your monitor? That will make everything larger. Settings -> Display. Pick the next smaller one and try it. If still too big, go down another.
    I hadn't seriously considered it as a solution. Minor drawback in having to change back to higher resolution to watch HD video in it's true form, but I doubt my eyesight is good enough right now to appreciate the difference in a little downscaling anyway.

I think we have a winner here, thank you.

Krishna
    -x-

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You are welcome! Hope that helps you. If you have the answers that you need, please remember to mark this thread as Solved. You can do that by going back to the top (to your original post) and look for the box that says Thread Tools. Click on the arrow for the drop down box: there you will see what you need.