Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to select and install correct NVIDIA driver bin binary from help.ubuntu.com

Beans

Re: How to select and install correct NVIDIA driver bin binary from help.ubuntu.com

CatKiller :
    Thanks ! Obviously I did not click through far enough then !
    I appreciate you doing my homework for me.
    I have misunderstood what that wiki page was telling me, and what was written by another contributor on these forums.
    Thx heaps for clearing that up (:

Beans

Re: How to select and install correct NVIDIA driver bin binary from help.ubuntu.com

Thanks for the information Temüjin !
    That is a bit disappointing that it is EOL.
    Is this patch unofficial ?
    It appears to be from canonical.
    Or do you mean "not officially from NVIDIA".

I am not committed to the NVIDIA driver if I can make Nouveau work properly for me.
    I have edited my reasons for seeking the NVIDIA driver in the Orig Post -- which are :

My main problems with the default nouveau driver in Ubuntu and reasons for wanting the official NVIDIA driver over are :
    1) The nvidia card fan speed is constantly at maximum speed, and very loud.
    I cannot control the fan speed with the nouveau driver (as far as I know.)
    2) If I put the computer to sleep or into hibernate, the display will go to a white / broken signal image, and I cannot bring it back.

If I can find either a nouveau GUI or usable terminal commands to control fan speed, throttling, and can put my computer to sleep and make it wake back up without giving me a grey screen of death (which it currently does) then I would be okay with Nouveau.
    I'm in a hot-climate, so being able to put my PC to sleep / hibernate is a very useful thing for a healthy PC.
    Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by spazz2 View Post
    What other "workloads" would you be referring to ?
    That would be the "other clever uses." It's called GPGPU.

Quote Originally Posted by spazz2 View Post
    If I can find either a nouveau GUI or usable terminal commands to control fan speed, throttling, and can put my computer to sleep and make it wake back up without giving me a grey screen of death (which it currently does) then I would be okay with Nouveau.
    There's this on the Arch wiki:

Fan control

If it is implemented for you card you can configure fan control via /sys.
    Code:
    $ find /sys -name pwm1_enable
    /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0/hwmon/hwmon1/pwm1_enable
    $ readlink /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0/driver
    ../../../../bus/pci/drivers/nouveau
    pwm1_enable can be set to 0, 1 or 2 meaning NONE, MANUAL and AUTO fan control. If set to manual fan control, you can set pwm1 manually, for example to 40 for 40%.
    Warning: Use at your own risk! Don't overheat your card!
    You can also set it by udev rule:
    Code:
    $ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/50-nouveau-hwmon.rules
    ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="hwmon", DRIVERS=="nouveau", ATTR{pwm1_enable}="2"
    I don't know anything about suspend.

I'd imagine you'll be fine with the proprietary 304 driver from the PPA for the lifespan of 18.04. After that, who knows?

The situation with Nvidia is awkward. Their driver has been feature-identical with their Windows driver for a long time, essentially by making it the same as the Windows driver. That means that it does entirely its own thing, which isn't the same thing as everyone else is doing. The nouveau driver (which is reverse-engineered by volunteers) has always been a long way behind because most users are well-served by the proprietary driver and Nvidia are officially disinterested in open source drivers. They could make things a lot easier for the nouveau project, but they don't.

By contrast, Ati, as was, had a proprietary driver that wasn't that great, so there was a lot more momentum behind making an open source driver that worked well. Recently AMD have broadly embraced that driver and development is progressing well. Intel's driver has always been open source, and performs as well as they can make it.

That card isn't supported at all on Windows 10, for example. Nvidia would really prefer that you bought a new card.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hey Spazz2,
    What I meant by "is it for display?" is pretty self explanatory, just to offload the task of displaying to a graphics card. I know some old GPUs can still do video editing, since those softwares rarely care about the age of the GPU, it should be okay to accelerate video rendering. The other workloads would be such as 3D rendering and gaming. This GPU, I doubt it will be strong enough for these tasks. Good luck with your driver installation!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12