Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help choosing between distros

Beans

Help choosing between distros

Trying this again bc apparently i didn't post it. *facepalm*
    Hi, im a brand new windows refugee, finally going to dual boot hopefully (had bad exp years ago with the ubuntu that came with a pc mag so got scared off for a while)
    I was looking at a couple of distros which are apparently good for newbs but I'm not sure which way to go.
    Theres Zorin, free or pro, I'm not sure of pro is worth the 20€,or maybe i should go for mint cinnamon. I kinda don't want to get swamped with a tonne of other distros but if there's another good starter a few others recommend over those listed id be happy to check them out too.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Help choosing between distros

I personally find Ubuntu MATE to be ideal for new users, and experienced users alike. It's lightweight, very configurable, and easy to use. Ubuntu MATE has its own curated software installer, and installation of drivers and firmware is easy.

MATE is available for other distros, but MATE development is handled by the Ubuntu MATE team.

AFAIC, it is the very best distro I have ever used.

You should never have to pay for Linux. Go to the distribution's website and download it for free, as a torrent (which is quick) or as a a standard download.

The .ISO you download has to be burned as a bootable USB. Copying the file to the USB won't work. Go here:https://rufus.ie/en_IE.html. Rufus is pretty much the best USB burner for Windows, and it's, BTW, available for Linux as well.

Go here to download the Ubuntu MATE ISO: https://ubuntu-mate.org/. Burn it, boot with it, and you'll have the whole system to examine. It doesn't touch your hard drive unless you select "Install."

Have fun!
    Last edited by oldrocker99; January 6th, 2019 at 05:53 PM.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

Yeah i thought it was a bit off that they ask so much for pro, and thats from the Zorin site itself the basic one was free, but i guess that's the way they were finding themselves unlike others who ask for donations *shrug*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Many distros do ask for donations directly or on Patreon or similar sites. I would never, personally, pay to BUY a distro. Try any distro you want, but my own choice is what I already said. You might want to avoid Arch for now.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The risk of information overload always exists but you could consult the major distributions on distrowatch.com. Of course, ubuntu is one of them, as is mint. One thing to consider is the hardware you use. If it is an older PC then xubuntu may be a better alternative. If the hardware is more powerful then anything goes. To stick with the way windows works you may wish to avoid gnome. It works perfectly, but it's different.

Beans

You may have a look at Kubuntu as well as a former windows user. I've personally never get used to Ubuntu's desktop. I tried a few others and decided to go with KDE.

As already written, you also have Mate that doesn't look that different.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

As a regular user of xfce/xubuntu, ubuntu unity (on Trusty 14.04) and ubuntu mate (on Bionic 18.04), for a new user I'd agree Ubuntu Mate is a good starting point. I have many other DEs installed but wouldn't recommend any of them, or distros using them, to new users as they could not be regarded as new user friendly environments.

As mentioned by oldrocker99, Ubuntu Mate is very good either for new starters or experienced users alike. I originally started on Ubuntu in late 2007 on the old gnome2 interface; the Ubuntu Mate release is virtually identical in function to the old gnome2 interface but uses newer libraries etc. This all makes for a very functional system which is easy to learn on, well worth a tryout for you IMO.

Beans

Ubuntu MATE is not only a good distro for new users. But consider to check the supported lifespan for any distro you want to use longer than three years. The flavours have a shorter lifespan. Even promised five years support for MATE 16.04 LTS (at the time I installed it in 2016) was quietly shortened to three years! No go flag for me. This made me switch back to Ubuntu.

Beans

For a new user I recommend downloading a handful of live CD's and trying them out to see which one you like best. I think as a former Windows user your choice will revolve around which desktop interface do you like and find easiest to use. (Personally I prefer Cinnamon). You can even check out Youtube videos or sites that have screenshots of what the different desktops look like.

Beans

Op asks for distro. Kubuntu and Ubuntu Mate are the same distro with different DEs (KDE and Mate) and you can have different distros with KDE and Mate (say Arch with KDE and Mate or Debian KDE and Mate)
    In choosing a distro I think there are more considerations than DE, e.g what packages are available, stability, timely security update, hardware compatibility (ease to install driver) etc. For new users I suggest Ubuntu flavours/respins which I include Mint.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; January 13th, 2019 at 10:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast