Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intel graphics driver not found

Beans

Re: Intel graphics driver not found

your problem for your system hanging is : not enough RAM. You have 2GB - 256MB = 1.8GB~ for the whole system. Your apps hang because the OS takes 1 GB of RAM (roughly) by itself, so about 0.8GB for your apps, way not enough! Everything is running off swap or page file! If you cannot upgrade your system ram, I suggest that you try a light-weight distribution or flavour, like Lubuntu.
    Last edited by mikasu; January 6th, 2019 at 07:29 AM. Reason: I didn't see the information that was given, sorry.

Beans

I understand... But, one doubt... In windows, i used to run NFS most wanted 2012, fifa, pes, shank2 , and all that games, with 2gb ram, and 1gb graphics....... cuz, when i checked my graphics memory in windows, it showed me I had 1072MB... but then , now, it shows 256MB.... I wanted to know why... ? And, wont that decrease in gpu memory affect my games and stuff in ubuntu which requires it??

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

It doesn't have any.

Not 256 MB. Not 1024 MB. None. Really, really, none.

The name is completely and totally irrelevant.

The video RAM is dynamically allocated from system RAM. The more that's allocated to the graphics, the less there is for everything else.

Beans

i understand.... thanks

Beans

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=226537

Modern Intel graphics allocate video memory dynamically (as needed) to avoid wasting RAM. 256MB is what the BIOS initially reserves, but the GPU can request more if needed. That would probably only happen with games though.
    You can see the maximum allowable video memory by using the dmesg command as in thread I linked. As for Windows and Intel driver, it may have changed from reporting the initial video memory reservation to reporting the maximum allowed video memory to avoid confusion like yours.

And, lag means, while i open any application ,it hangs for a little bit.... nothin works.. and then , suddenly everything works...
    If non-games do this, I find it unlikely that has anything to do with lack of video RAM. Replacing the hard disk with an SSD helps a lot with application load times.

Beans

Replacing for an SSD or adding more RAM if possible. Ubuntu is arguably a bit more heavy than Windows depending on what you look at, so your 2GB of ram(of which your iGPU takes some megabytes) might not be enough for regular Ubuntu.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12