Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel graphics driver not found

Beans

Unhappy Intel graphics driver not found

Hey guys..
    I have a Lenovo Thinkpad L420... with 3 GB ram, and 2.3 Ghz i5 intel processor...
    I installed Ubuntu Linux in my laptop recently.... Everything worked out fine, until i started experiencing some lag.... i checked the graphics memory, and it was just 256MB.. I had 1 GB of graphics memory in my laptop.

The graphics card in my laptop was "Intel HD Graphics 3000" .... with 1 GB graphics, while i was running windows 8.. but now, when i check the graphics card info, it shows "Intel Sandybridge " which is not my integrated one.... Please help.. How to install drivers of the other HD 4000 Intel graphics card? I'm using Ubuntu 18.04
    Last edited by sankarsuresh01; January 4th, 2019 at 06:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Intel graphics driver not found

Hello sankrasuresh01 and Welcome to Ubuntu Forums,

Intel drivers are normally now part of the kernel and there should be no need to install them separately. How ever you may benefit from update version by adding the following ppa and doing and update and upgrade. in a terminal to this:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
    Then
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    and then
    Code:
    sudo apt upgrade
    good luck.
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Intel graphics driver not found

Dude,
    I tried it, but no luck....

The same motherboard graphics i think, is getting updated... the driver of my integrated graphics card isnt getting installed.
    Screenshot from 2019-01-04 21-35-14.jpgScreenshot from 2019-01-04 21-40-56.jpg

In these 2 images, my pc settings, and Graphics memory (I have selected that), is shown...
    The "Intel Sandybridge mobile" is my motherboard internal graphics, not my internal graphics card's memory..... cuz i currently hav "Intel HD Graphics 3000"....

Please help me! Or else i wud hav to recert back to some other operating system....
    Thanks...
    Last edited by sankarsuresh01; January 4th, 2019 at 06:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Your integrated graphics are HD Graphics 3000.

It doesn't have any memory of its own. It claims it from system memory as needed.
    Last edited by CatKiller; January 4th, 2019 at 05:38 PM.

Beans

Sorry... Got to know its HD Graphics 3000.... yet, it should still be more than 256MB... The Sandybridge graphics is not the one it should be using......

Because, during the days i was using windows, before i installed the graphics driver, it used to show "Intel Sandybridge Mobile" and 256 MB as memory.... but after installing driver, it used to show "Intel HD Graphics 3000" and memory as 1072MB....

So, isnt there any driver for this in Ubuntu?
    Sorry, I am new to ubuntu.. so i am still getting to know things on the way...

Thanks
    Last edited by sankarsuresh01; January 4th, 2019 at 06:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro

They are the same thing. HD Graphics 3000 is the name of the graphics part of your Sandy Bridge processor, as the link says. Nothing is on the motherboard, it's all inside the processor.

There is a driver. It's included in the kernel, as kc1di said. There is nothing that you need to install.

Beans

Then I aren't I getting 1GB of graphics memory?? and i am i getting only 256MB? I'm experiencing lag issues due to this...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sankarsuresh01 View Post
    Then I aren't I getting 1GB of graphics memory?? and i am i getting only 256MB?
    Why do you believe that your shared memory is not being allocated correctly? You've shown nothing that would indicate that was the case.

I'm experiencing lag issues due to this...
    You've given no details whatsoever of the "lag" you're experiencing, no details about which programs you're experiencing it in, nor any reason to believe that it is in any way related to any misallocation of shared memory that you claim to be the case.

You are most likely to get help by starting a new thread detailing the precise symptoms you've experienced and the details of what you do to trigger them. Your confusion about the graphics in your laptop will just muddy the matter.

Beans

I told that before ryt? that when i was using windows, i had 1GB graphics, wid the gpu INTEL HD 3000 GRAPHICS
    But, in this, it shows 256MB graphics , with gpu INTEL SANDYBRIDGE MOBILE...
    In windows, it used to show INTEL SANDYBRIDGE MOBILE and 256MB, before i installed the drivers of INTEL HD 3000 GRAPHICS... aftr installing that , i got 1GB graphics, under the name INTEL HD 3000 GRAPHICS

And, lag means, while i open any application ,it hangs for a little bit.... nothin works.. and then , suddenly everything works...

Beans
    Distro

The names you vaguely remember Windows giving things have no relevance to what your hardware's actually doing.

Quote Originally Posted by sankarsuresh01 View Post
    And, lag means, while i open any application ,it hangs for a little bit.... nothin works.. and then , suddenly everything works...
    That doesn't sound like a graphics issue in any way. Start a new thread, with specifics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast