Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Help for newbie with some basic questions about Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Help for newbie with some basic questions about Ubuntu

Finally I found this:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DiskSpace

So I think for now all my problems gone.

There is what I did with normal-clear installation:

When need to select how I want to install I choose "something else". I set my all HDD to ext4 /home. I set my SSD 1GB (enough ~100-250MB) for efi. I set my SSD 8GB (amount of RAM) for swap. I set my all other space of SSD to ext4 /.

Thank you for everyone of you help for me. It means a lot for me as for new user! See you in next topics

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: Help for newbie with some basic questions about Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kibiras View Post
    Oh. I don't want to reinstall my OS. Is that okay if I use HDD just like using right now without /home then? Because I don't get any point why I should make HDD like /home. All downloads and files I still can keep in HDD. Even steam games working from HDD without /home.
    I'd like to offer my opinion.
    Considering your noob status and the hardware on your system,I think the suggestions for your installation have been over complicated.

I would have suggested you install Ubuntu entirely on the SSD ( / and /home - the default install option) and use the HDD for data.

You can always move the /home to the HDD at a later time or during installing a newer version of Ubuntu if you feel it will be beneficial.

Using the 'Disks' application set the HDD to mount at boot ( > settings > edit mount options )

Create downloads , pictures ,documents etc folders on the HDD if desired and change the download location setting in various apps to download the these new folders (optional)

I have used Ubuntu since 2006 .I used to create a separate /home partition ,but I stopped doing this because it was of no advantage to me.

Catkiller post #38:
    "The biggie, though, is that if you break everything through experimentation all your data and settings will be preserved and automatically applied when you reinstall the OS."

I suggest you install Timeshift restore tool and set it to save snapshots of the OS onto the HDD This is an alternative resolution for the problem described above.Without reinstalling. Or to reproduce your previous set up in a new install.
    http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/t...ty-tool-review

qbittorrent is an excellent torrent client.
    https://qbittorrent.org
    Last edited by Paulgirardin; January 26th, 2019 at 10:17 PM.
    Ubuntu 23.10

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345