Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help for newbie with some basic questions about Ubuntu

Beans

Question Help for newbie with some basic questions about Ubuntu

Hello. I think I should start in that case I'm 10+yrs Windows (now Windows 10) user. And you know, it's terrible . I mean I'm not a developer, but that updates, gliches and all other stuff.... just enough for me. In future I'm thinkin to buy mac, but for now I want to try Ubuntu. And many friends just scary me "uuuhhh, ubuntu is not for basic users", "uuuuhhh on ubuntu you can't install programs and other staff", "uuhhh ubuntu is hard OS". So what is the true? What I need is youtube, facebook, torrents, video player and google drive. How about that? And is it true there is no programs for Ubuntu?

Ubuntu just look safe for me and stabile. Thats why I want to try it.

Please, help me with that .

P.S. and what is Ubuntu LTS? I mean LTS have long term support? But then what is the point to install non LTS version?
    Last edited by lisati; December 31st, 2018 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Please keep language family-friendly

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Help for newbie with some basic questions about Ubuntu

There are plenty of programs available of the types you listed.

Quote Originally Posted by kibiras View Post
    P.S. and what is Ubuntu LTS? I mean LTS have long term support? But then what is the point to install non LTS version?
    The LTS versions get security updates, bug fixes, and browser updates, but everything else stays at the same version. You'd use the interim versions if you really need the latest versions of things, or if you want to help with testing. New users should stay with LTS versions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    There are plenty of programs available of the types you listed.

The LTS versions get security updates, bug fixes, and browser updates, but everything else stays at the same version. You'd use the interim versions if you really need the latest versions of things, or if you want to help with testing. New users should stay with LTS versions.
    So I just need to start using Ubuntu with no questions?
    And how about installing? Becouse I have one SSD and one HDD
    Last edited by kibiras; December 31st, 2018 at 10:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro

So I just need to start using Ubuntu with no questions?
    Yep

Use the live environment for a while to get a feel for it and make sure that everything works. You might hate it: no need to rush in.

And how about installing? Becouse I have one SSD and one HDD
    When you've decided that you'd like to install, it's easy enough. You can install alongside Windows as a dual-boot if you like. Install generally takes somewhere between 10 and 30 minutes, depending on your hardware and the options you choose.

Beans

When you've decided that you'd like to install, it's easy enough. You can install alongside Windows as a dual-boot if you like. Install generally takes somewhere between 10 and 30 minutes, depending on your hardware and the options you choose.
    Well I want to have a clean install. And I need to install it from USB FLASH DRIVE, but when I search youtube how to do it, it looks not so easy :O.

I think it should be the same like other OS? Create a bootable flash drive with rufus, then restart PC and select boot from flash drive and thats all? I'll get options in which SSD or HDD to install, format and etc? .

Sorry for noob questions.

Beans
    Distro

I'm not familiar with Windows tools, but yes, that's the gist. Make a bootable drive from the image that you download, and boot into it.

You'll be in the same sort of environment that you'll have after you've installed, so you can do whatever to see that it all works. The installer just asks some questions, and can download updates in parallel with the installation.

Beans

I'm not familiar with Windows tools, but yes, that's the gist. Make a bootable drive from the image that you download, and boot into it.

You'll be in the same sort of environment that you'll have after you've installed, so you can do whatever to see that it all works. The installer just asks some questions, and can download updates in parallel with the installation.
    Well okay.... When I will be at home after some days I'll try. I hope everything will be fine . Thank you for your help .

Beans
    Distro

No problem. I hope you enjoy it

We're here to answer any specific questions you might have after you've played around with it for a bit.

Beans

No problem. I hope you enjoy it

We're here to answer any specific questions you might have after you've played around with it for a bit.
    Well it's nice to find friendly community .

Beans
    Distro

Becouse I have one SSD and one HDD
    With regard to this bit in particular, if you're just having Ubuntu on the computer, installing to the SSD and having the HDD as your /home will work well. /home is for user settings and data.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast