Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Random System Freezing in Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

Beans

Question Random System Freezing in Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

Hello all, I'm a newbie to Linux so please bear with. Been getting some random system freezes lately. ctrl+alt+dlte doesn't fix so hard resets are necessary. Any way I can troubleshoot this? How do I find out what caused it. I'm running a new pc build with a Ryzen 5 2400 cpu w/ integrated Radon Vega 11 graphics, Samsung EVO 500gb HD. I installed from a USB stick.

Are there any CLI commands or GUI programs that can register issues in the system?

Topsiho is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Random System Freezing in Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

Hi,

I have (possibly) exactly the same problem with one of my computers, and not at all with the other one. Hard freezes which force to use the power button to halt the computer, risking (it happened) that the computer could not be booted anymore. Both computers then with Ubuntu 18.04, but see below.

Problem is that sometimes (weeks) there is no freeze at all, and other times several in one day. I have the impression that most or all freezes happen shortly after booting, but am not sure.
    Anyway, I installed Linux Mint 19.1 on it and so far experienced one freeze (of mouse clicks only this time) so I could reboot the computer as it should.

I have found:
    https://digitalfortress.tech/debug/w...buntu-freezes/

and am waiting for the now Mint computer to freeze again, after which I intend to take the measures mentioned here.

Hope that this helps.

Topsiho

Beans

My system freezes are still happening even with recent auto Ubuntu updates. Do I need to check for memory leaks? If so , how do I do this?

My PC is a new custom build with a Ryzen 5 2400G with Vega 11 graphics, 16GB ram , 500GB SSD.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by arcman7 View Post
    Been getting some random system freezes lately. ctrl+alt+dlte doesn't fix so hard resets are necessary.
    Ctrl-Alt-Del wouldn't have done anything, anyway. Possibly it might trigger the logout dialogue, depending on which keyboard shortcuts you've set. The safe restart key combination that you're after is holding down Alt and pressing the SysRq key (which is normally also the Print Screen key - you might also need the Shift key) and then, in turn, R E I S U B (busier backwards, to help you remember). Leave a few seconds between each letter.

You've really not given us much to work with at all. Since you haven't said that it's triggered by any particular activity, I'm going to assume that it happens on idle. I'm also going to assume that your hardware is adequate and is properly configured.

Go into your BIOS and bump up the VCore a notch. You'll probably have to set the VCore to Normal rather than Auto, and then you'll want the smallest positive offset you can give it. This will hopefully stop the processor voltage dropping too low when it enters an idle state, which might otherwise cause it to hang.

If that doesn't help, you'll need to provide more details about what's happening when your system hangs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

The motherboard you're using may need a BIOS update. Look on their website, download the update and copy it to a thumb drive. Open the BIOS, and select "Update," and point it at the drive. Do copy the current BIOS to that drive, so you have the backup if it makes things worse.

Good luck!

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

Question Re: Random System Freezing in Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    The motherboard you're using may need a BIOS update. Look on their website, download the update and copy it to a thumb drive. Open the BIOS, and select "Update," and point it at the drive. Do copy the current BIOS to that drive, so you have the backup if it makes things worse.

Good luck!
    Thanks my motherboard is an ASRock AB350Pro4 bought Dec. 2nd 2018. Is there a reason I can't flash the bios like I'm used to with Windows? Sorry I am a newbie.

Beans

Question Re: Random System Freezing in Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    . Do copy the current BIOS to that drive, so you have the backup if it makes things worse.

Good luck!

Ok how do I go about copying my current BIOS to a flash drive? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

A video demonstration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbyB-drELXE on how to update BIOS on AsRock MB; at about 1:55 seconds the discussion covers backup of current BIOS.
    Your motherboard manual has a section on BIOS & Drivers, mine is Section 3.3.3 (AsRock H270)

BTW, the AsRock website includes this information about your motherboard, https://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=BIOS
    ASRock AB350Pro4 R2.0 1.00 1/17/2019 First release.
    Last edited by him610; February 12th, 2019 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Added information that may help OP
    Cheers,
    I am not an expert on anything, but I pretend to be one at times.
    Software expands to consume available system resources.

Topsiho is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Several weeks ago, in this thread, I mentioned the random freezes of one of my computers, using Ubuntu 18.04, and also Linux Mint 19. It also froze randomly using Ubuntu 16.04, with which it had run without any hitch for years. The reason of the random freezes was very difficult to find, as the freezes were very random.

Following a hint in this thread, I reset the BIOS to it's default values (I found that some time I had apparently altered these), AND, I think that did the trick, I took out the memory strips, and reseated them, in a different order, and using three other banks of the four.
    I also reseated all cables that I could find, such as the SATA-cables, in different connections if available.

After some weeks I have now the feeling that my computer has become again the dependable, faithful computer it has ever been since it was custom built (never was tainted by MS Windows).

Wanted to share this with you . I even typed this post using this computer, without fear of a freeze, destroying this tremendous effort....

Topsiho

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by arcman7 View Post
    Ok how do I go about copying my current BIOS to a flash drive? Thanks!
    Format the USB as FAT, not FAT32 or any other format. Download the BIOS update, IF there is one, and decompress it, if it's compressed of course, and copy it to the formatted USB. Reboot, get into the BIOS, and select "Update BIOS," or whatever the command is. Follow the instructions. It is likely to ask you if you want to copy the existing BIOS, and say Yes. Then, point it to the new BIOS, and it'll update it and then you reboot.

Good luck!

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast