Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Random System Freezing in Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

Beans

Re: Random System Freezing in Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

Quote Originally Posted by him610 View Post
    A video demonstration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbyB-drELXE on how to update BIOS on AsRock MB; at about 1:55 seconds the discussion covers backup of current BIOS.
    Your motherboard manual has a section on BIOS & Drivers, mine is Section 3.3.3 (AsRock H270)

BTW, the AsRock website includes this information about your motherboard, https://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=BIOS
    Thanks Him610 and everyone with the help. I see several BIOS options for the ASrock AB350. Does it matter which one I choose? Trying to figure out which one matches my board. This is exactly what my board box looks like. https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350%20Pro4/

*Also my board came with a utility cd which I did not run as I dont' have a cd-rom drive installed in my system.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350%20Pro4/#BIOS Ok this page shows my board as having a bios update from 12-25-18 just after I bought my board.

Last edited by arcman7; March 1st, 2019 at 12:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You don't want to install a driver not intended for your particular motherboard

Go to Asrock support page, https://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=BIOS
    In the matrix with header Latest Bios Update (Lastest Beta BIOS Update). Under Model, there are two variations of AB350M Pro4 - one on line eight and another on line 24. Only you can decide which is yours.

If you run inxi -M from the command line, you can see your Asrock assigned motherboard model designator and the UEFI(Bios) version and date.
    This is what mine looks like,
    Code:
    hugh@G4560:~$ inxi -M
    Machine:   Device: desktop Mobo: ASRock model: H270M-ITX/ac serial: N/A
               UEFI: American Megatrends v: P2.50 date: 03/16/2018
    Cheers,
    I am not an expert on anything, but I pretend to be one at times.
    Software expands to consume available system resources.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

That Xmas update will definitely not be installed on your motherboard, so download the top two files and follow the instructions.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

Question Re: Random System Freezing in Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    That Xmas update will definitely not be installed on your motherboard, so download the top two files and follow the instructions.

Ok I downloaded this zip file per the instructions on the bios download page but i'm not sure what I'm suppose to do with it.

Code:
    Please install "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.10.20_NHDA" or a later version before updating to this BIOS.
    Do I just run the setup.exe?
    Last edited by QIII; March 2nd, 2019 at 12:47 AM. Reason: code tags, font cleanup

Beans

Question Re: Random System Freezing in Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

So downloaded the "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.10.20_NHDA and tried to run setup.exe and just got "error code could not locate archive mssg".

The motherboard page at https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350%20Pro4/#BIOS for my board says to download this driver before updating to a new BIOS.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I am pretty sure you can not run setup.exe in a Linux environment. There maybe a readme file within the zip package that explains how to install the AMD VGA update, or you may find it necessary to go to the AMD website for information on how to install on AMD MB with Linux.
    Another option might be to contact AsRock support. I am sure they will not abandon you.
    Cheers,
    I am not an expert on anything, but I pretend to be one at times.
    Software expands to consume available system resources.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by arcman7 View Post
    Ok I downloaded this zip file per the instructions on the bios download page but i'm not sure what I'm suppose to do with it.

Code:
    Please install "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.10.20_NHDA" or a later version before updating to this BIOS.
    Do I just run the setup.exe?
    Ignore that. Windows drivers will not help you in the slightest. Just update the BIOS.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Re: Updated BiOS , now Ubuntu won't load

Ok so I really hope I didn't screwed up my system royally here but I downloaded the bios update, copied to USB formatted to FAT and restarted entered into the UEFI and flashed the BIOS. Now I can't reboot into Ubuntu anymore. Help!
    Last edited by arcman7; March 11th, 2019 at 11:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Updated BiOS , now Ubuntu won't load

Quote Originally Posted by arcman7 View Post
    Now I can't reboot into Ubuntu anymore. Help!
    That's really not a lot to go on, is it?

Did the flash go OK? What are the symptoms of your inability to boot?

Be aware that flashing the BIOS will have reset all your BIOS settings to defaults, so things like whether it's booting Legacy or UEFI, or whether the drive is in AHCI or RAID, or whether Secure Boot is turned on, may all be different to how you'd installed Ubuntu.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    That's really not a lot to go on, is it?

Did the flash go OK? What are the symptoms of your inability to boot?

Be aware that flashing the BIOS will have reset all your BIOS settings to defaults, so things like whether it's booting Legacy or UEFI, or whether the drive is in AHCI or RAID, or whether Secure Boot is turned on, may all be different to how you'd installed Ubuntu.
    Ok well it's hard to tell exactly what was changed I had help with the installation from a friend . Under boot menu I have boot option priorities in the following order.

Boot option#1 UEFI:built in EFI Shell
    Boot option #2 AHCI PO: Samsung SSD 500GB
    Option#3 USB : generic usb
    Option#4 UEFI : generic usb

My sata mode is in AHCI mode

In Boot/CSM(compatibility support module)
    CSM is enabled
    Above 4G decoding is disabled.
    Launch PXE OpRom Policy is in Legacy mode.
    Launch Storage OpRom Policy is in "Legacy only mode."

Secure Boot is Disabled

Not sure what else to check. Also remember this is a freshly built PC with only Ubuntu installed.

Is there anyway to post screenshots?

*Update I just rolled back to Bios update 5.10 and Ubuntu still will not load after reboot. Went to purple Ubuntu screen for a sec then black and nothing. Do I need to go back to the exact bios version of the board when I got it?
    Last edited by arcman7; March 12th, 2019 at 01:51 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast