Thread: Merging disks

Beans

Merging disks

Hello

I have a baremetal server on Scaleway that has 2 disks running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
    One is a 50 GB one that comes with the server, and an additional one that must be mounted which is 250 GB

I have several users under /home and I have to create more users that will run specific processes to each user. Unfortunately I am running out space in the 50 GB one and would like to merge the 250 GB one in there without loosing any information.
    If you have also another choice that would be doable I would appreciate it as well.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Merging disks

Quote Originally Posted by albertocastillo2001 View Post
    Hello

I have a baremetal server on Scaleway that has 2 disks running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
    One is a 50 GB one that comes with the server, and an additional one that must be mounted which is 250 GB

I have several users under /home and I have to create more users that will run specific processes to each user. Unfortunately I am running out space in the 50 GB one and would like to merge the 250 GB one in there without loosing any information.
    If you have also another choice that would be doable I would appreciate it as well.

Thanks
    Buy a couple of terabyte discs, they are so cheap these days it is just not worth stuffing about. Use qt5-fsarchiver to back up the partitions as they are at present.

qt5-fsarchiver will clone to larger or smaller partitions with no data loss. Alternately use dd or rsync to back them up, but qt5-fsarchiver and it's cli version fsarchiver is easier and can do different sizes with less hassle.
    Tony
    Asus Z270i7 16gb rm 8tb GT1660 Haupp Quad tunr Kubuntu Jammy/Win 11 Be/FE mythtv 0.34Homerun dual netwk tunr 55¨ Smsng QN95B55" Lap Smsng NP R580 i5 nvidia linux Ultimate/Win 10

Beans

Hi vidtek

Thanks for your answer.
    Unfortunately that's not an option, as it's a baremetal server from Scaleway. I can add 50 GB disks by one euro each, but can't buy the size I want. This is why I have to scale them and use as I asked for.

The machne comes with a 50 GB disk
    A 250 GB disk that you can mount
    And then you can add 50 GB disks by paying one extra euro per disk.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hi vidtek

Thanks for your answer.
    Unfortunately that's not an option, as it's a baremetal server from Scaleway. I can add 50 GB disks by one euro each, but can't buy the size I want. This is why I have to scale them and use as I asked for.

The machne comes with a 50 GB disk
    A 250 GB disk that you can mount
    And then you can add 50 GB disks by paying one extra euro per disk.

Thanks
    Sorry didn't realize it was a cloud situation, should read the question more carefully, never heard of scaleway, and just assumed it was a standard setup. You should still be able to utilise fsarchiver to achieve your aims though.
    Tony.
    Asus Z270i7 16gb rm 8tb GT1660 Haupp Quad tunr Kubuntu Jammy/Win 11 Be/FE mythtv 0.34Homerun dual netwk tunr 55¨ Smsng QN95B55" Lap Smsng NP R580 i5 nvidia linux Ultimate/Win 10

Beans

Hi

FSArchiver seems to be a backup utility. I don't want to use this.
    What I need to do is mounting the 250 GB disk and then "bridge" the 2 disks together so I can use all available space.

As I mentioned earlier, users have their documents under /home/USERNAME and I can't move that. Any idea to "merge" them somehow?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hi

FSArchiver seems to be a backup utility. I don't want to use this.
    What I need to do is mounting the 250 GB disk and then "bridge" the 2 disks together so I can use all available space.

As I mentioned earlier, users have their documents under /home/USERNAME and I can't move that. Any idea to "merge" them somehow?

Thanks
    With fsarchiver you can move partitions around, clone to smaller or larger than the original.
    There are many tutorials here on the different ways to move home folders. In your situation I would keep the 50gb for just the operating system and the other for home and data folders.
    Tony.

Beans

I actually would like to use both disks as they will hold a large amount of data, this is why I would like to merge them in some way similar to a RAID 0 setup but without the need to rebuild the volumes or the array (as there's no array) and can't actually stop the processes that are running for these users.
    Btw, happy holidays and thanks for your help!
    Last edited by albertocastillo2001; December 24th, 2018 at 02:08 PM.