Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It seems impossible to quit tobacco

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

It seems impossible to quit tobacco

I used to consume about 17 packets of tobacco per day. I have managed to reduce it to 3-4 packets per day

but problem is I cant manage to completely quit. I feel acute cravings in absence of 3-4 packets.

To all X smoker or tobacco user who have managed to quit any suggestions for me ?
    LUBUNTU 18.04
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU
    Ram 4GB
    Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2)

Beans

Re: It seems impossible to quit tobacco

I smoked for 9-10 years, pack and a half of cigarettes a day. It was not easy. I just stopped. I kept busy with other things, chewed gum, prayed (if one believes), and thought about it a bunch.

One thing to think of is finances. Do the math. I found out I was spending just over 3000 dollars US every year for smoking. Money that I really could have used for other things. Hell if I had even saved just half of it each year i would have 15000 US in my savings. What a waste. Then you think about the smell. I always thought I was hiding it well. Found out after I had quit for a month or so that I was only fooling myself. I smelled horrid. My house smelled horrible.

Another thing is your health, probably the most important thing. Within a month I had stopped coughing and wheezing. I was able to do yard work for longer than 30 minutes. I could walk to my Circle K without a problem (about a mile). Everything was better. Also your families health. If you have children, do you really want them to learn to smoke from you? Is definitely a big reason to drop it, hard as it may be.

Was also nice knowing I didn't miss anything. How much does one miss in life because "brb gotta smoke!". Miss alot in life.

End of the day was not easy. Very difficult the first week or so. But thinking about the benefits of quitting is what kept me going. That and faith (won't go into that one). Find something to focus on, and run with it. Tobacco is a bad habit, you are paying to kill yourself slowly. That being said I don't judge smokers. It's a tough one to break. But the results are worth it.

I'd suggest not using the patch, or the gum. Statistically speaking studies have proven that just quitting is the most likely to lead to success. It's hard, but get it out of your system asap and you will be fine.
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:16 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    I smoked for 9-10 years, pack and a half of cigarettes a day. It was not easy. I just stopped. I kept busy with other things, chewed gum, prayed (if one believes), and thought about it a bunch.

One thing to think of is finances. Do the math. I found out I was spending just over 3000 dollars US every year for smoking. Money that I really could have used for other things. Hell if I had even saved just half of it each year i would have 15000 US in my savings. What a waste. Then you think about the smell. I always thought I was hiding it well. Found out after I had quit for a month or so that I was only fooling myself. I smelled horrid. My house smelled horrible.

Another thing is your health, probably the most important thing. Within a month I had stopped coughing and wheezing. I was able to do yard work for longer than 30 minutes. I could walk to my Circle K without a problem (about a mile). Everything was better. Also your families health. If you have children, do you really want them to learn to smoke from you? Is definitely a big reason to drop it, hard as it may be.

Was also nice knowing I didn't miss anything. How much does one miss in life because "brb gotta smoke!". Miss alot in life.

End of the day was not easy. Very difficult the first week or so. But thinking about the benefits of quitting is what kept me going. That and faith (won't go into that one). Find something to focus on, and run with it. Tobacco is a bad habit, you are paying to kill yourself slowly. That being said I don't judge smokers. It's a tough one to break. But the results are worth it.

I'd suggest not using the patch, or the gum. Statistically speaking studies have proven that just quitting is the most likely to lead to success. It's hard, but get it out of your system asap and you will be fine.
    @ Tadaen_Sylvermane +1 and kudo's. I also smoked a bunch, and have quit for over 19 years now.
    Agree Cold Turkey has the best outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by linuxyogi View Post
    I used to consume about 17 packets of tobacco per day. I have managed to reduce it to 3-4 packets per day

but problem is I cant manage to completely quit. I feel acute cravings in absence of 3-4 packets.

To all X smoker or tobacco user who have managed to quit any suggestions for me ?
    Key Word "It seems impossible to quit tobacco" I can also relate to your plight, but it is doable. (It seems worth while things are the hardest to accomplish at times)
    Best of Luck though.
    EDIT: I can tell you that in my case I felt soooooo much better both physically and mentally
    Last edited by 1fallen; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:42 PM.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I was ill with the flu in December of 1991, sitting on a couch coughing my lungs out while smoking a cigarette, wondering why I was doing this to myself. Since I already felt terrible, I thought I'd try to quit smoking. Somehow I managed to stick with it. The first couple weeks were the hardest for me. I spent many hours on my son's Gameboy at that time, trying to keep my hands and mind busy. It can be done, but it sure ain't easy.

Any former smokers ever read Stephen King's short story "Quitters, Inc."? Inspirational

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Thanks for all the replies and encouragements.

You guys are absolutely correct, the first week is the most difficult one. If I can somehow get through just one week without tobacco mission accomplished.
    LUBUNTU 18.04
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU
    Ram 4GB
    Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

When I was a smoker, I became an expert at quitting, and managed to do so multiple times.

My impression, based on personal experience rather than formal training, is that there's elements of both habit and addiction present, and both need to be addressed. I find keeping my mind occupied with other stuff is of some help. I also have the condition of my day-to-day laptop as a reminder - I'd hate to open it up and take a good look at the gunk that accumulated inside it when I was a smoker.

For some people, there's options like gum, patches and lozenges which can be of some value dealing with the addictive aspect of smoking while weaning yourself off the cigarettes.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There are two kinds of cold turkey, the first happens before your health is adversely affected the second, is when you have no choice due to cancer or some other major problem as happened to a family member on mine . Keep trying and though I have no experience with patches they seemed to prolonged the nicotine addiction for people I know rather than being means to quit.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

As an old cowboy, I've been using smokeless tobacco for over 40 years. I've quit many times.

I've never had nicotine cravings during those periods. What gets to me is the missed "ritual". Kicking a nicotine dependency is a matter of time.

The ritual is harder to overcome.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

As others have said, it's a mindset/ritual as well as the addiction you need to overcome.
    I enjoyed smoking and after 30 years it had ingrained itself into my habits and lifestyle
    and I felt it would be great loss to quit cigarettes.
    There's no loss ...it's a gain.

You need to replace the ritual and change your mindset and don't be discouraged if it takes a few tries.
    As an ex smoker nicotine chewies worked for me but took a couple of attempts.
    Took me about 2 months of gradually reducing the chewies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Several attempts and still working on this attempt and it ain't easy and the hardest thing for me is to be around others I know as most of them smoke.

I can make a pack of cigarettes last 4 to 5 days so I'm working that down to where I can hopefully be a nonsmoker before the first of the new year 2019.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast