Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It seems impossible to quit tobacco

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: It seems impossible to quit tobacco

Nicodern CQ finally got me to quit smoking. I had smoked a pack a day for 32 years and knew it was taking a toll on my health. The name brand patches worked better than generic equivalents and really do take away most of the urge to light up. I have not smoked for over three years now! If I can do it anyone can, all you have to do is follow through.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Two posts were removed from this thread, you know who you are, keep the thread nice and no more talk like what was posted, from the CoC:
    The purpose of the Ubuntu Forums is to provide support for Ubuntu. We also want this to be a place where community can develop and we can enjoy one another's company. To achieve this, we strive to maintain an atmosphere that can be enjoyed by all and we ask all members of the community to be respectful at all times. This means please use etiquette and politeness. Treat people with respect. If you do this, the rest of the code of conduct won't need more than a cursory mention.
    Trolling, Attacks and Flaming: These are always forbidden.

Trolling is posting in a way that provokes emotional responses.
    Attacks and derogatory terms of any kind are not welcome. This includes references to any operating systems or the companies that produce them.
    Flames are messages that personally attack or call any people names or otherwise harass. These, along with any generally condescending posts will be edited or removed at the moderators discretion.
    I would normally pm each person concerned but I do not have the time for that right now.
    Last edited by wildmanne39; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:40 AM.

Beans

I found the need to quit in Feb. of 17. When I got to the Dr. after a stint in the hospital, they wouldn't give me a reason i had had a stroke. They treated me like I was daft when I speculated that 55 years of smoking probably didn't do me any good. I have been tempted to light up again only twice. Thankfully I didn't give in. I'm not sure that I feel any better, but my bank account hasn't suffered. The only fatality from the stroke was my digital life. I am trying to rebuild that now. I am trying to get a printer up and running again. I have no idea how I did it before, but I will figure it out again. I got help here before and I am glad that here is still here. Whatever you have to do to quit, I hope you succeed.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

It is hard to quit smoking.

To quit smoking, you have to WANT to quit. I began smoking when I was about 18 and smoked, pack a day, for about 15 years then quit cold turkey. It didn't last. About 6 years later, I took up smoking again and smoked for another 4 years, again quitting cold turkey. Have not smoked since then for 40+ years

Not only do you have to WANT to quit, but you need to find something to do with your hands and when you would normally be reaching for a cigarette to go with that cup of coffee. It's a mind thing too; I used to find myself counting ceiling tiles when I had the urge to smoke.
    Cheers,
    I am not an expert on anything, but I pretend to be one at times.
    Software expands to consume available system resources.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I gave up in 1970. I was 19 years old and smoking 40 Capstan full-strength a day untipped.
    I started coughing up blood and it scared me to death. I quit cold turkey, smoked my last cigarette at 5.00pm on April 5th 1970, and have not had a single smoke since. The cravings I experienced were horrendous, I used to consume boxes of Juicy fruit chewing gum for the first couple of months after.
    I am convinced it was not just will-power, I changed my whole life-style at the same time.
    I got married, I moved into my first house and changed my job all in that first month.
    I'm sure if I had been in the same old rut I would have slipped up, with the pressures of the daily routine, coffee break, have a smoke, etc etc.
    Tony.
    Last edited by lisati; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:16 AM. Reason: replaced censored word with friendlier alternative
    Asus Z270 i7 16gb ram 8.25tb GT960 TSB6205 Quad tuner 64-bit Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic & win 10 Be/FE mythtv 0.29
    Laptop Samsung NP R580 i5 nvidia linux ultimate & win 10 Homerun dual netwk tuner 55¨ Samsung ES8000

Beans

Such a difficult habit to stop. I started a chewing gum habit to replace it. Been smoke free 18 months!

I was told just quit. Keep trying to quit. Eventually you will.

I was also told. Once a smoker. Always a smoker.
    We've only got so much willpower.

Beans

was also told. Once a smoker. Always a smoker.
    We've only got so much willpower.
    It's hard to stay off them. I haven't had a smoke in 7 years now I think. Still crave from time to time. Haven't given in yet. But it will probably be a lifelong struggle.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    It's hard to stay off them. I haven't had a smoke in 7 years now I think. Still crave from time to time. Haven't given in yet. But it will probably be a lifelong struggle.
    7 years is good going. Well done!

Yeah the cravings never go but seeing how terrible people smell is enough for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Yep you got that right it is hard to stay off of them when most of the people you know are smokers and you can't just kick them out of your life because you've decided to make a change in yours.

We do the bar scene a few times throughout the week the wife and I as we get bored just hanging around the house and yes you guessed it alcohol and cigarettes just seem to go together.

Oh well one day well get it right hopefully.

To all a Happy New Year.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hi.
    UPDATE: I have completely stopped taking tobacco. I am using nicotine gum to cope with the cravings.

I am feeling much better now. I am not yet able to enjoy the the money that I am saving by quitting tobacco

coz the nicotine gum is very costly.
    LUBUNTU 18.04
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU
    Ram 4GB
    Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast