Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to assign a permanent static IP address in 18.04

Beans

Question How to assign a permanent static IP address in 18.04

I am running an Ubuntu 18.04 server in Hyper-V on Windows 2012 R2. I am familiar with assigning static IPs in Mint 18.3 via the GUI tools, but not using only the CLI. I tried creating a 99_config.yaml file in the netplan directory that contains the following:
    Code:
       network:
           version:   2
           ethernets:
               eth0:
                   dhcp4:   false
                   dhcp6:   false
                   addresses:   [192.168.20.20/24]
                   gateway4:    192.168.20.1
    If I try to include lines for renderer or nameservers, I would get error messages when I ran the netplan apply command. The above does work and sets the IP address. The problem is that it doesn't always work automatically when I reboot and uses DHCP for an address. This messes up my client PCs using the MySQL server on my Ubuntu server.

What should I be doing to fix this? Thank you.
    Last edited by coffeecat; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:43 AM. Reason: added code tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: How to assign a permanent static IP address in 18.04

indentation and spacing are ABSOLUTELY critical. Check those. When you post here, use "code tags", so things line up.

Beans

The indentation is correct and was when I entered it here. It obviously was lost when I posted it. What are "code tags"?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by rudlock View Post
    The indentation is correct and was when I entered it here. It obviously was lost when I posted it. What are "code tags"?
    It was not "lost", just obscured without the code tags. There is a link in my sig telling you how to use code tags. Code tags are just one of many types of BBCode which is worth learning how to use - not at all difficult - if you are going to use a forum, any forum. If you have ever used an online forum it would almost certainly have been possible to employ BBCode to enhance your posts.

Tip - in the message editor, click on the icon that looks a bit like A/A top-left in the toolbar and choose Source mode. Then you will be able to see the BBCode tags that you use. WYSIWYG mode is all very well but makes the use of BBCode awkward.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 17.10 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Virtualisation.

Be sure to use spaces in groups of four for indentation as Netplan does not appreciate tabs in its yaml files.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Tip - in the message editor, click on the icon that looks a bit like A/A top-left in the toolbar and choose Source mode.
    Blimey! I've been using these forums since Hoary Hedgehog and I still hadn't noticed that!

Beans

I still have the problem. netplan apply sets my IP address, but it's not permanent. It reverts to the DHCP address quite often. I think I'm going to give up on Ubuntu and try Mint 18.3.

Beans

What I find strange in your config is the ethernet card name you use, they are no longer called "ethx";
    try to launch this command and post result:

Code:
    ip address

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by ubname View Post
    What I find strange in your config is the ethernet card name you use, they are no longer called "ethx";
    try to launch this command and post result:

Code:
    ip address
    +1 and also maybe the absence of the "renderer:" element to the config?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

According to netplan.io, renderer isn't necessary and will default to systemd-networkd https://netplan.io/reference . I don't know if Ubuntu installs that renderer or not.

Might be worth mentioning that netplan can be replaced by the old ifupdown method. There are guides for how to accomplish that. I've not used netplan or 18.04, so I don't know if these issues are common or just people getting used to yml files.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast