Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fstab Look Right?

Beans

Re: fstab Look Right?

My _ideal_ goal would be have sda, the boot disk mount at startup (duh--) and the other disks mount when required, as when saving a file to one them, opening a media player etc. and then go into whatever I have set in power management for that disk when it is no longer in use. And of course have all the disks show up in File..Open dialogue.
    Is your original requirement below a subset of the above or is the above now the new requirement:
    My problem I am trying to fix was that going to "File - Open" in many programs (eg: k3b) the Documents, Download, etc directories are shown along with "Other Locations". If I select "Other Locations" I get two entries: "Computer" & "Movies". Selecting "Computer" gives me the / directory listing and I can go to/mnt and select the drive/directory I want.
    I translated that to mean that you want all these partitions to show up together in "Open" and not have to use "Other Location". Am I right?

Why not keep your fstab the way it is but Bookmark the mount points.

You have a partition that is mounting at boot:
    LABEL=Video /mnt/Video auto nosuid,nodev,nofail 0 0
    Open Nautilus ( not Double Commander - you are using Ubuntu right? ), go to /mnt/Video, then Bookmark it. A bookmark created in Nautilus will show up in "Open" in your applications along with Documents and the rest of the gang. Won't have to use Nautilus again if you don't want to/.
    Last edited by Morbius1; December 17th, 2018 at 08:06 PM.

Beans

I think you need to mount internal disks at boot time then they probably can go to sleep; otherwise you'll have to mount manually with command line later when you need them.

Beans

Found a nice tutorial on how to create bookmarks in Nautilus since they went out of their way to make it difficult: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1039...n-ubuntu-18-04

Note: At the very bottom you will notice that the responder suggested x-gvfs-show as I did above and the response from the user was:
    Unfortunately the 'x-gvfs-show' doesn't seem to do anything. Could it be permission problem or a bug?
    Hmm....

I have a partition mounted in fstab that looks like this:
    UUID=551e67cb-a437-4353-b6e8-9404e2e62700 /mnt/DataL ext4 defaults,x-gvfs-show 0 2
    Does not appear in the main side panel of Nautilus itself as I said it would. My Bad.

It does show up in Thunar in Ubuntu however:
    x-gvfs-show.png
    And it does show up properly in Thunar in Xubuntu as well as Caja in Ubuntu MATE.

So what we have here is a gnome utility ( Disks ) that offers an option ( " Show in user interface ... x-gvfs-show ) that will not work in Gnome's default File manager ( Nautilus ) but will work for other File Managers. You have to love Gnome folks.
    Last edited by Morbius1; December 18th, 2018 at 02:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I'm going to mark this solved. I had a computer malfunction requiring motherboard replacement and decided to rearrange everything while I had it all apart. Thanks to everyone for all their help and tips.
    Your files aren't in the cloud, they're just on someone else's computer.
    --Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12